iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"stringy" on exit side

Started by leeroyjd, August 03, 2021, 10:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeroyjd

Lots of search results, so I may have missed it.
I know dull a blade and certain woods can be the culprit. But even with new blade I have had that string. Logs debarked and clean.
I've noticed  that milling with the butt end first seems to eliminate those strings.
I like milling small end first, and maybe its not the fix, but had a few logs that were not worth spinning mill nicely. 
Anyone else?

btulloh

Strings happen. Depends on the species and grain orientation on the exit side. If the grain is running out you'll get more strings. A quick scrape down the corner with an edge tool of some sort will knock the strings off. A lower powered mill or a dull blade will make more strings. No big deal, just knock them off. 

A little more detail about species, mill type, blade type and condition can help us give better feedback, but sometimes strings are just gonna happen. I just scrape down the corner (going WITH the grain) and knock them off. Takes about 4 seconds. 
HM126

leeroyjd

The strings are not an issue at all,  just wondered if anyone else noticed a difference milling from small end of log versus butt end. I've even spun a cant and noticed a difference.
 I use a scraper too, if I want to bother. Lumber for my own use as well.
Forgot species-White Pine. 
Bandmill 14 hp. Woodland Mills. Think the blades are 4 degrees.

btulloh

Gotcha.  Switching ends can make a difference can change the string factor if it makes the grain run in instead of out on the exit side. Doesn't seem worth the effort to me compared to rotating to balance or counteract stress in the log. 

Small end/big end gets discussed from time to time. Usually turns up more reasons to saw from the small end than the big end. Personal preference always seems to be the deciding factor. I used to like big end first, but then I just started sawing them as they showed up. 

It'll be interesting to see if there's anyone who switches ends to reduce the string factor. I'm betting that it's rare. 
HM126

leeroyjd

I like milling from the small end too, and agree its not worth the effort spinning them.

YellowHammer

Strings on any species are a good indication of a dulling band, but certainly not dull enough to change.  I am aware of them, but don't worry about them.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

I often wondered if I was the only one that wondered about the stringy shavings coming off.
 What would Danny name these, I would ask myself ? @WDH may even have a very long polysylabic word for them: "starting to get dull but not dull enough to change bands". . . . seems to be the answer from Yellowhammer.
I'll have to keep an eye on the 'top to bottom, no strings' theory. More of a "whaddya think" entertainment  kind of thing, than an actual indicator of high level sawyer secret knowledge. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KenMac

Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

TimW

Quote from: KenMac on August 03, 2021, 07:40:36 PM
Quote from: WDH on August 03, 2021, 07:15:18 PM
It is complicated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theor
Your submission certainly is!! Not sure the OP had that in mind.
That would be the Mircosoft answer.  Totally correct, yet of no help what so ever. :D
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

YellowHammer

Generally, when I'm pondering at what stages of "Paeneplumbeus finalumaufero" my band is in, I also think about the hidden secrets of string theory and the depths of quantum gravity.  However, as far as I'm concerned, the most important question of string theory isn't about the mathematical description of the universe, but is more in line with "How DO they get all that string into a can of Silly String??"  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

btulloh

Hmmmmm . . . I think somehow this will evolve into food references after a couple more replies. 
HM126

cutterboy

YH, have you been throwing the weeds on the burn pile again? :laugh:
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

moodnacreek

When single edging against the fence strings are a pain.

Andries

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 04, 2021, 11:04:53 PMat what stages of "Paeneplumbeus finalumaufero" my band is in
paene: almost, nearly
plumbeus: blunt, dull
aufero: carry/take/fetch/sweep/snatch away/off, remove, withdraw
finalum: the final 'ummmm' made before making up a Latin word

@YellowHammer (he may have spent a considerable time in school) may be quoting from Roman Army jarheads as they were carping about dull bands on their sawmills. 
PS: maybe too much free time, which leads to posts like this, because we can't cross the border for the Pigroast.  ;)

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Dave Shepard

10° in pine, string meant the band was getting dull. Turbo 7 and a 51 HP Perkapiller in pine, strings just mean you are getting things done in a hurry.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

I was wondering who would dissect the phrase and figure out the Latin.  @Andries takes the cake.  

YellowHammerisms:

WDH

That Andries is a smart one too.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

Forrest Gump's Mama: "Smart is as smart does."
I'm pleased with myself if I don't make the same mistake, six times in a row. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

RAYAR

Dulling teeth will cause stringing and only 1/3 of the teeth are cutting each side of the kerf beyond the band thickness. Therefore, the outer part of the set teeth will dull much quicker than the part that is within the thickness of the band where all the teeth are cutting in this area, therefore only doing 1/3 of the cutting that the outer set of the teeth are doing. Hmmmmm..... that's my thoughts and I'm sticking to it.  ;D
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

slider

i am a 71 year old sawyer and enjoy wdh,s and andrais  reply but if the band is cutting straight and flat the strings interest me but i can live with it. Big word overloaded my small brain with his reply but i am use to that from him .  We have been friends for years and i know when to be quiet and listen .
al glenn

Southside

Too much fiber and I get stringy.  smiley_smelly_skunk
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

I actually believe it happens whether the blade is sharp or dull, but increases as the blade dulls!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

Specie of the wood also matters. Who here knew that specie is both singular and plural and that species has nothing to do with plants of any kind? 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!