iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

518 transmission issues

Started by SBeau, September 10, 2022, 07:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBeau

Hi, long tume lurker, hopefully after this post I can contribute back to the forum.

I have searched this forum and others to no avail. 

I have a 518 skidder that in mid turn the transmission stopped working. No reverse or forward, pto to winch stopped turning. It happed during a coast down a hill and shift into 2nd. No clunks, bangs or other weird noises.

Brought it down the hill, cut open transmission filter, no sign of metal or rubber.
Tested pressures at filter, speed clutch pressure tap, and directional clutch pressure tap, all good.

I get no pressure from the torque converter inlet, outlet pressure taps or from the lubrication pressure tap.

This makes me believe it would be in the valve spools?

Has anyone had a similar issue or know if I can remove the valve bodies without taking the engine and transmission out?

Thanks,
Shawn

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Tell us what a jypo logging contractor does. Have heard of jypo loggers, and don't know for sure what they do either. tks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SBeau

Haha, I have been called that for a while, from what I understand it is a logger who works for a small scale operation and not the big mills or timber companies.

So we selectively log in the interior of BC, all on private property, usually steep slopes that feller bunchers don't like and sell to whatever buyer that will pay the most, sometimes several buyers during a project. When logging we hand fall, use a line skidder, an old 544 loader to sort and load trucks and a 324 excavator to build trails and hoe chuck.

Thank You Sponsors!