iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maximum traveling payload capacity of bandmill bed?

Started by bigblockyeti, September 13, 2022, 11:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Not an overweight or sawmill owner at fault accident but an example of how ugly a sawmill wreck can be.  That's a $50k plus sawmill on its side with a car stuffed under it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=94926.0
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jeff

Here is an example of what happened to member @Corley5  when someone else thought they could put it all on one trip.

Just Another One of THOSE Days in General Board
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

Pnyberg wrote on here probably 10 years ago about carrying a logging arch on his LT 40. He was able to ride it up on boards over the front end. It look like something that would work occasionally but not something you would want to do very often.

Woodmizer saw mills, at least the ones I've had, are not designed with excess capacity for carrying things. Mine have had 100 pounds or so difference between the GVWR in the actual weight of the Sawmill. The difference between the tire ratings and the actual weight on each tire does not add up to much more. Probably all of us have carried a few boards, the spare tire, maybe something else once in a while but all less than this several hundred pounds spare capacity.

A main consideration in portable sawmilling is to be able to set up and pack up as quickly as possible, so as to allow the most in a day for getting the work done. Time spent arranging  and securing of extra equipment that takes time is to be avoided.

It looks like you are considering having what it takes to move logs when you get there. The downside of this, possibly described by today's term of 'moral hazard" is that it is hard enough to get customers to be ready.  Giving the impression that you will cover bad log arrangement may shift that responsibility to you. Sawing is your forte that you can develop to make the most money for your time. Logging type offerings are not.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Joe Hillmann

moosehunter

I carry my tent, chainsaw and extra fuel can on the mill.
I don't see how you could get an ATV or anything else of substantial weight on the deck and balance the load. The head travel position is over the axle. 
jmho.
mh

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stephen1

Quote from: moosehunter on September 16, 2022, 01:22:09 PM

I carry my tent, chainsaw and extra fuel can on the mill.
I don't see how you could get an ATV or anything else of substantial weight on the deck and balance the load. The head travel position is over the axle.
jmho.
mh
I like the tent! what are the dimensions. I would like on for sure. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LeeB

Thought maybe that was a hernia belt for the truck. :D :D :D :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

That's what you get when you advertise $10/truckload. :D

He won't need a dump bed - just pop a wheelie. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Around here that IS dump bed.  35 mph in reverse and hammer the brakes!.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

with that load at 35 mph, I would guess not much happens when you tap the brakes! ;D 8)

Gere Flewelling

That truck is a good advertisement for Yokohama Tires though.  They are hardly squatted and no doubt providing maximum traction. :D
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

doc henderson

maybe it is a hollow shell, to be used as a blind for wildlife/hunting.   fudd-smiley

moosehunter

Stephan1, 10' x 10' euromax. Good heavy duty unit. 

Use it more for shade than rain.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crossroads

I didn't read through the entire post, so forgive me if this has been covered. As you stated the mill is roughly 4,200# already right? That mill is setting on a 3,500# dexter axle. Your 700# overloaded already (apparently Dexter has given WM the green light for this application). I've had an axle get bent from a chuck hole in the road. It was not covered by warranty and the axle cost me $500, I was quoted another $500 for shipping, but was able to avoid that by having it delivered to Portland WM and I picked it up the next time I was in the area. If you plan to double, I would put the sawmill as the trailing trailer due to the offset design. If you use it as the lead trailer, I think it would scrub tires pretty fast. Good luck
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

bigblockyeti

The ~4200lb mill is sitting on a 5200lb axle, neither WM nor Dexter could begin to afford the liability of putting an under rated axle under a mill.  Some have less and some have more excess capacity, using that was the scope of what I was originally suggesting might be possible.  

There's no way I'm hauling doubles and even if it were a short distance off road, the mill would certainly be on the back as whatever the other trailer was would be wider than the mill.

KirkD

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 24, 2022, 09:29:14 PM
The ~4200lb mill is sitting on a 5200lb axle, neither WM nor Dexter could begin to afford the liability of putting an under rated axle under a mill.  Some have less and some have more excess capacity, using that was the scope of what I was originally suggesting might be possible.  

There's no way I'm hauling doubles and even if it were a short distance off road, the mill would certainly be on the back as whatever the other trailer was would be wider than the mill.

I think that depends on year and what motor / options. My 1989 LT 40 has a 5 lug 3500 lb Dexter axle with 13" tires.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

bigblockyeti

That would make sense, I suspect they've only gotten heavier over the years with revisions made to virtually every part and with bigger engine options as well.  I would guess there wasn't even a diesel option for any LT40 back in the 80' and early 90's.

Ventryjr

I'm not familiar with WM mills.  How wide is the whole track/bed of a lt40?    Could you mount it on the side of a deck over trailer that 8' wide.   Then park your toys on the other side.  
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Crossroads

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 24, 2022, 09:29:14 PM
The ~4200lb mill is sitting on a 5200lb axle, neither WM nor Dexter could begin to afford the liability of putting an under rated axle under a mill.  Some have less and some have more excess capacity, using that was the scope of what I was originally suggesting might be possible.  

Instead of assuming, you might want to research that. 1) a Woodmizer rep (Denise) told me that Dexter approved the use 2) I'm looking at my manual right now and it clearly states "Axle, 3500 Lb. Electric Brake With Springs Dexter #25209 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

bigblockyeti

I'm not assuming, you didn't read the whole thread.  It's already been established which mill weighs ~4200lbs.

When you put yours on the scale, what did it weigh without anything extra weighed with it?

Crossroads

I didn't put it on the scale, when I bought my mill the literature stated the weight and after I bent an axle and was discussing it with WM. I asked @ why do you put a 4200# mill in a 3500# axle" ? I was told that "Dexter approved it". I can run across the scale tomorrow though. 

bigblockyeti

If it would benefit you, go for it, don't do it on my account.  I had this discussion with WM recently, my specific question: "What is written on the axle tag capacity by the axle manufacturer on the LT40 Super?"  Their answer:  "LT40 Super   AXLE ASSEMBLY, 5200 LB" I don't know what has changed between 2017 and 2022 but the axle being used could have been one of those things.  FWIW, I was not asking about 2017 MY mills.

Crossroads

If the heavier axle is a change that my complaints helped happen, then that's good, but I doubt it, because I was told that I am the first person to have one bend like that. 

Thank You Sponsors!