iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RIP Jay Maine Mill

Started by peakbagger, September 20, 2022, 05:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peakbagger

Riwaka

Is the wood going to end up as wood pellets for Europe? A sea port in Maine is about 2200 nautical miles closer to Europe than somewhere in the South like a Mississippi sea port for loading wood pellets.

Southside

Been a couple of attempts / false starts on bulk pellets, torrified wood, going to Europe via a shuttered Maine mill over the past decade or so.  I don't think so much as a bag has shipped yet. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I have no idea how many are working there now.
Just saw on the news 230.
It's been going down for years.
I wonder what will go there now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

711ac

Just heard this on the radio news with my coffee. 
Sad news for Maine and the whole woods industry.
We have some terrible Gov't here and I think most of this can be laid at their feet. They hate business. 

maineshops

Yup ,we need to get "General Mills" out and get a business man in there.
Phil:4, 13

OntarioAl

Join the club Kenora Fort Frances Thunder Bay (3 0f 4 gone) Red Rock Marathon Sault Ste Marie Iroquois Falls All these mills gone just foundation slabs left
Al
Al Raman

nativewolf

Life keeps changing, pulp mills didn't exist, then they did and sometime in the future they will hardly matter.  Change is the constant.  

Various governments around the world have tried to stave off closure of mills, in Maine they have been more successful than most so instead of complaining you should actually be thankful.  In MD the last mill closed, in Virginia there is one buyer/ mill operator.  

Government can't fight the market not in TN where that mill closed last year not in Maine, nor in Wi where the mills closed 2 years ago.  

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Southside on September 20, 2022, 09:52:18 PM
Been a couple of attempts / false starts on bulk pellets, torrified wood, going to Europe via a shuttered Maine mill over the past decade or so.  I don't think so much as a bag has shipped yet.
They tried to get one of my clients to take  it and ship chips to the eu.  He got excited, went to see it, did numbers and say no thanks.  Lose money on every ship.  That whole business only exists because of a regulatory trick in eu.  It is under attack and I would not count on it as a business.  If they remove the green label from wood chips than Prices fall even more.  
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

You guys are talking above my knowledge but why do they close mills in one state and build a new one here in Michigan? Maybe type of wood or easy of getting/selling. 🤷‍♂️ But we also lost three outlets in the past couple decades. Two big pulp mills. And a lot of co-gen plants. It's kind of a big circle that makes the world go round. 🤷‍♂️

beenthere

A few reasons I can think of.. but a mill is somewhat like an expensive piece of machinery.. when the maintenance gets to a point that buying new is necessary, it is done. New techniques in processing can make the decision to shut down an old factory in one place and move to another place.
Also, rules change the game whether it be for the process and air emissions or water discharge. Taxes likely also play a part as well as age of workforce which can increase costs due to workers' time in the job.
Likely many factors enter into closing a mill, and money is probably the bottom line as with most decisions.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

We've lost 4 OSB plants, 3-4 paper mills, and I can't think of what else in the last 20 years. The high point in my life time fir the wood industry was the late 90's. Even fools were making good money, I think they were figuring at the time we were harvesting faster than the growth rate. Now we probably harvest 1/3 of that.

Huber is a bright spot, they are laying ground work for a new OSB mill in Cohasset, MN. Of course there are environmentalists trying to tie it up in court, but I'm hopeful it will be a go. Huber manufactures the Advantech OSB that has the pre-applied moisture barrier, you just have to tape the seams. It has really taken the market by storm, I hope this mill goes through!
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

I understand the Advantech OSB has moisture resistance so it will hold up better in moist conditions, than conventional OSB. 

Don't understand the "tape the seams" suggestion, and wonder what the application would be for this OSB product beyond being used for sheathing. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Huber has been the one mill around these parts that hasn't been belly aching for some sort of bailout or on and off shutdowns and sales turnovers. They have a plant in Easton, Maine. Been there at least 35 years chugging along.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

peakbagger

LP just rebuilt a plant in Northern Maine to make a new siding product that is in great demand. 

The Jay mill was a "state of the art" mill built to make coated paper. It was a very profitable grade as 40 years ago everyone got glossy magazines and advertisements. Unfortunately it was too profitable and too many mills got into coated paper all over the country. Some companies like Madison paper and Millinocket Maine spent lots of money to build machines to make a lower priced product that nibbled away at the market. Offshore competition also appeared. Then the internet came in and spoiled the show. Demand for coated started heading down and never came back. IP bought one of the competitors in Maine, Bucksport, and eventually shut them down. New Page bought Rumford who also was a coated producer after Mead stripped off the land and sold it. New Page was supposed to switch Rumford to some other grade than coated but never did, they sold the hydro electric plants and dumped what was left on another clueless owner who eventually sold it for near scrap value to the Chinese. Madison Papers and Millinocket shut down. IP in Jay also had a disastrous strike that branded the mill with a bad reputation that still exists today. IP saw the writing on the wall and after dumping their reimaging timberland, sold to hedge fund who ultimate sold the hydros and then sold what was left to Pixelle for cheap. Meanwhile a lot of the remaining printing went offshore so the companies who made the printing paper went offshore. Thus there was a glut of coated in the US market and no signs of it getting better.

Pixelle could make good pulp but when the digester blew up several years ago, they realized they had an uncompleted mill in need of very expensive repairs, reportedly for far more than they paid for the entire place. Even without the loss of the digester, it is likely the mill would have closed under their ownership.

Politicians including the former Maine governor may show up at the gate for a photo op but they cannot change the world market. East Millinocket went down under LePage's watch (it was going down under the prior governor, but LePage got the booby prize). The decline of the pulp & paper industry in Maine has been going on for at least 30 years and every governor's goal has been to hope another mill does not go down under their watch. Nine Dragons in Rumford is stumbling along with lots of plans but no follow through, it would be scrapped by now if not bought by a Chinese billionaire who is using it as a training ground for her family. All the plans that are floated in public to switch away from coated are plans that have been tried and failed elsewhere. Talk to any long term employee and they uniformly say, the new managers are clueless. Sappi is also a coated mill that has been desperately trying to get away from coated, they switched to grease resistant papers on some grades and unfortunately, they use PFOAs in the coating. The PFOA went to their treatment plant and the sludge was given away to farmers for soil amendments so tens of thousands of acres of farmland as well as the Kennebec River is now ground zero for PFOA contamination. At some point that is going to cost Sappi a bundle. That and issues with their water intakes on the Kennebec makes that mill a shaky proposition. 

The only positive potential for growth in the Maine fiber industry is that GoLab a Maine startup is rebuilding the Madison mill to make a wood fiber based insulation product called TimberHP. Its very popular in Europe for "green building" but it is not made in the US currently and not cost effective to ship (big bulky and low cost). They bought a used manufacturing line in Europe and moved it to Madison. It is a continuous product made 24/7. They are planning to go into production in early 2023 so it lines up with the Jay closure and is not that far away from Jay. My guess is that some of the folks at Jay will be applying to the new Madison mill. The tradeoff is most mills have been shrinking for years and the folks left are high on the seniority list so there are not a lot of young folks working at the mills. Rotating shift work is not easy and there are known health effects for working rotating shifts, many papermakers were born into it and are used to it so they are logical employees as most people not used to them would not stay long.    

snowstorm

I see someone doesn't like us pointing out the truth about the one behind the desk in Augusta. I hauled a lot of wood to jay over the years. When the I p opened it it was a steady market the worse thing up here was when verso bought it. They scraped Bucksport cause they didn't want anyone else to have it. Rumford the feds said they had to sell it. They would have to much of the market. That was sold to n d paper from china. They not only made a go of it but they are putting a lot of cash into it. Along with rumford they revived the old town mill. Now if one of them would raise the price of soft wood. That's a bit low while the hard wood is up there

peakbagger

I live in NH so I do not have a dog in that fight. Just explain to me how a politician in Maine can revive the coated paper market in the US that has been sinking for 30 years? 

snowstorm

She dose not help anything. And the jay mill was not making coated paper. 

nativewolf

Quote from: peakbagger on September 21, 2022, 06:56:31 PM
I live in NH so I do not have a dog in that fight. Just explain to me how a politician in Maine can revive the coated paper market in the US that has been sinking for 30 years?
I don't have a dog in it either.  I'm all ears.  Glad to hear what we could do here in Virginia or MD or PA (just had a mill closed).
Liking Walnut

Southside

Ohh believe me I could pitch in with the politics of all this, as I got really, really, raked over the coals due to politics when Lincoln was resurrected from the dead the last time, but - Lets keep the politics out of it so this does not get moved into the restricted section. 

Personally I think the final nail in the coffin was the digester blowing up, same as when the recovery boiler blew at Lincoln.  I don't see a pulp and paper mill doing well as only a paper mill, way too many different logistics.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Coated paper is a rapidly shrinking, dying market. Our local UPM/Blandin mill manager's whole strategy was hopefully to be the last man standing in an evaporating market- which I thought they said they are the last North American coated paper producer at this point.

Typically, the involvement of politicians has made issues worse. When all 3 of the Ainsworth OSB mills closed down, 2 of them were purchased with government money by some dreamy headed community foundations or something like that. The one in Grand Rapids was going to be repurposed into a "green energy campus", if they only set up the facility where manufacturers could set up to make solar panels, wind turbines etc obviously they would flock to it. Haha, I think there are aspen trees growing in the access road behind the gates now. Oh yeah, these do gooders/meddlers purchased these mills from Ainsworth with no compete clauses, so now they can't be used to produce OSB. Perfect sites with rail service etc. 

Beenthere, the Advantech product has the moisture barrier on it, the seams are taped to complete the air seal. It eliminates the use of Tyvek, or on a roof they have a roof specific product that has an integral membrane that replaces tarpaper or synthetic roofing paper. If you see a building going up with green OSB, that's Advantech.

beenthere

Thanks barbender
Do you have a link that tells about the green product that eliminates the Tyvek ?
south central Wisconsin

barbender

I was somewhat mistaken, Advantech is Huber's OSB product, and it is called Zip system when it has the moisture membrane on it.

nativewolf

Yep govt interventions at a very site specific sort of level do more harm than good.  No matter the best intentions the politicians are fighting something the market is trying to fix.  

Govt interventions that do work are usually incentive based, tax credits, or crop specific subsidy to encourage  production of an industry (corn and methanol) where the govt subsidizes refineries for buying ethanol and the requires then to mix it.  It worked (millions of acres of corn getting turned into ethanol) and brought some industry into farm belts but the unintended consequence is that it hurt frackers.  

I don't think there's much we can do on the coated paper side of things other than tarrif up coated paper printed products coming from China.   That might do some good as the chinese govt is subsidizing that activity like crazy.  I think it would just be a blip though, coated paper is disappearing in daily life.  

Much easier for the govt to create a new market (computer chips, cell phones, solar production, ev's etc) than try to save a dying industry.  Wood fiber insulation strikes me as a potential huge win and the govt could offer incentives to support that (building codes to require more insulation for one), credits for "green" insulation for another.
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!