iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tunnel Beach

Started by Ianab, January 15, 2023, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Nice fine day on Saturday, Lil and the kids want to go to the beach, so we decided to go and check out one of the more out of the way ones. (Technically it's in the Waikato district, not Taranaki) We had read about it, but never been there. 

You can get most of the way there there by following SH3, but where's the fun in that.  :D  Scenic route is via Whangamomona and Mt Damper.  It's a short walk across farmland and through some bush to the waterfall. At 242 ft it's one of the taller Nth Island ones. 

And Lara made a new friend. 

Then on to Waikawau. It's not really even a village. A school in the middle of nowhere, and a few farms. Google Street View doesn't even go down the road, that's how you know you are out in the back country. 

At the end of the road there is a small carpark, and a foot tunnel through the hill. 

That comes out at the beach. 

Check out the crowds...  :D

And back thru the tunnel. 

And back home after 300 km, for a late dinner.  

Looking up some history, the tunnel was dug in 1911 by a local farmer. It was easier to to walk his cattle down the back from the back of his farm, than over the steep hills. But there was no beach access at the South end, so he dug a tunnel through the soft sandstone for the cattle to walk through.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

What a delightful excursion!!    thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I wondered how that tunnel was made.
Good for you to find them hidden jems.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Cool! I don't think I've ever seen that big of a dragonfly!
Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Quote from: barbender on January 15, 2023, 07:38:23 PM
Cool! I don't think I've ever seen that big of a dragonfly!
They aren't common, so Lara was a bit surprised to have it fly up and land on her. Then she noticed it was carrying a small fly, that it proceeded to eat. Finished it's snack and just flew off.  :o 
At a guess the stream above the waterfall won't have any eels in it as they migrate from the ocean. Probably makes it a haven for those big dragonflys.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Patrick NC

Very nice. Glad you had a good outing with your family. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!