iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Great outdoor desert - Peach Cobbler

Started by johncinquo, September 19, 2006, 02:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

After all this time, theres no "food" forum area?   :D  With all the food talk on here I figured it would have its own by now.   Maybe the whole thing is a food forum!

We went camping this weekend with a big group of people and a fella made a desert that I cant wait to try myself.   I'm putting it in the outdoor area, because it is a campfire deal.  Though you could make it in the over I suppose, but that just wouldnt be the same.

You take your cast iron dutch oven, dump a big can of peaches in, then a box of cake mix.  Anything like the Betty Crocker yellow or white cake.  Then cut up a stick of butter into slices on top of that.  Then pour a can of 7-up on top of that.  Close er up and put into the bed of coals from the campfire and cover it up.  About an hour later, or his directions are when you smell peaches, its ready.     Oh man, it was rich and tasty, with the cake gooin into the peaches, and the top of the cake nice and brown and crusty....  You'll have some happy campers for sure!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

SwampDonkey

John, are you cook'n for Jeff up at the camp? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

You folks are making me hungry.

Every time I see Tom cooking those monsterious steaks on the random photos my stomach wakes the guy in the next office.
remember man that thy are dust.

Burlkraft

John,
That would be REALLY good for a couple of guys that ya know ta take ta bear camp :D :D

Ya know that it would NEVER make da 3 hour trip ta camp ;) ;) ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Hmmm. Peach cobbler. I'll even volunteer to ride in the back and hold da pan.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Oh, Wow!  I love peach cobbler.

Here is one that we used to make on a fire when I was little.  I raised my boys on it by cooking it in the kitchen.  I acted like I was making it for them.  :D

cut up the better part of a stick of butter in the bottom of a dutch oven.   
Get a can of some of those "store" biscuits like "hungry Jacks" and spread them around the bottom of the dutch oven.  Don't leave them whole though, They are in layers so "unlayer" them in half or thirds and put in the bottom of the dutch oven, on top of the butter.

Pour a big can of peaches on top of the biscuits.  A really big can.   Put a handful of brown sugar on top of the peaches.  sprinkle a little cinnamon on top (very little)  Some folks drop a clove or two in there.  If you have any butter left, put it on top.

Put the lid on and bury it in the coals about half way up the oven.   

The biscuits will begin to rise and come up through the peaches were they will brown some.  When the bread is done, the cobbler is done.  It's so goo-o-o-d!

sawguy21

Tom, that sounds like it should be illegal :D Man, I love peach anything.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

One thing I don't understand is these guys pouring peaches from cans. Don't they tatse nice fresh picked and plunked into the cobbler with a little sugar? Surely. I'd never have apple crumble from canned apples. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

johncinquo

I'm sending a care package along with Steve to help keep you guys from starving up there.  He said all you were planning on feeding him was bar bait! 

Well canned peaches are out of necessity.  We did up 25 quarts of our own this season, we'll be lucky to make it through to spring! 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

beenthere

And what is keeping Burlkraft from feeding on it while getting there?   ::) ???  I can see the smiley grin when he arrives, with cobbler dripping off his chin.....

And hope he isn't the bar bait for showing up without the cobbler.... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

If he smells like cobbler but aint got any left, well, I'm sitting his lawn chair on the bait pile.

UNCLEBUCK

Before my tv popped awhile back I use to love to watch on rfdtv that old game warden on his campfire cookin show . That other guy from texas is a very nice man but I just couldnt understand a word he said . Everytime I got done watching them fill their dutch ovens I was just foamin .  Had to get me a dutch oven and I think I will give this peach cobbler a go sometime soon ! I bet once ya get good at using a dutch oven its hard to stop .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Patty

Yea we watch old C Dub on rfdtv, too, so I bought Norm some dutch ovens. I am sure looking forward to dutch oven cooking this fall over the fire pit on the patio.  food6
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Modat22

I love cooking homemade biscuits in those campfire biscuit pans. There is no better way to cook em. Sausage cooked over an open wood flame is hard to beat as well.

Someone a long time ago served me some quail that was plastered with clay and cooked in coals. at first there was a yuck factor but when you broke it open it was the most tender, best tasting quail I ever ate.. You plaster the little birdy with clay, feathers and all. when its done break it open and the feathers and skin remain stuck to the hardened clay. Plop out the cooked innards and eat the beasty.
remember man that thy are dust.

Jeff

WE BEEN HAD!  I just heard from Steve. He's on his way to pick me up. He was given a can of peaches and a cake mix! :D

Oh well, hopefully the burn ban is lifted when we get to the camp and we can make it fresh. Thanks for the cobbler "kit" there johncinquo  ;) :D

beenthere

johncinquo was looking out for your best interests Jeff. No way could Steve be expected to make it all that way with fresh peach cobbler with him. He'd have to stop at the first wayside and taste it, just to be sure it was good enough for you. Then he'd decide at the next wayside that it might not be to your satisfaction, so he'd have some more (nuther test), and by the third wayside, it would have been gone. john knew what he was doing, just for you.  Enjoy!  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

We are suposed to belive that John did the switch right Steve? ;)

isawlogs

I like this guy .  ;D   He thinks like me  smiley_thumbsup
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!