iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Landing price for hemlock in the northeast?

Started by Old Greenhorn, February 16, 2020, 12:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

(This is not a solicitation.)
 Up to now I have been cutting all my own logs mostly salvaging downed trees, etc. Now I have a small project and I didn't want to take time to forage for logs so I called a logger friend down the road to see what he could do for me. I don't need much, about 350 finished BF, but some need to be twelve footers. Rather than figure out a special price for me for around 6 logs (8 and 12', plus trim) he is just giving me the price he gets for his logs from buyers on his landing which is .50/BF. He is figuring on Doyle and I did my calculations on International scale. I figure I will have a bunch left over based on his scale. The total came out to $350 bucks, which was a bit more than I thought he would charge me. I told him I didn't need hardwood, and he told me this is for hemlock. He guarantees his logs for me, if I get a bad one, it gets replaced. Also, he is delivering these to my driveway at no extra charge. I am not complaining about the price at all. But I thought the going rate was about .30/BF on the landing? Am I all wet?
 Just wondering, what is the going rate for logs of this sort? This is a new level in our relationship and I wanted to start it off on the right foot. When I hesitated, he offered to knock off 50 bucks just to make it easy.
 I will have to re-do my calculations tonight based on what I really need, I think I have an extra log or two figured in there anticipating a lower price. Yes, I do realize that this is more than a fair price to have them delivered. As I said, that is not the issue, just wondering what the going rate is?
 Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

stavebuyer

KY may be cheaper than NY, but Hemlock here is $250 Doyle IF you can find anyone to buy it. No real commercial market; its sawn to order for local use lumber, mostly board & batten for cabins and outbuildings.

A-z farmer

Old Greenhorn 
I do not buy or sell but I think that 30cents is in the ball park delivered .Around here the loggers will not take the hemlock because they are afraid it has shake .We have used our own hemlock for years on our farm and it is very strong .

dgdrls

OGH,

Stumpage Price Reports - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
NYS stumpage report doesn't have a hemlock report for the Catskill region.
I would call the state regional forester just to see if any sales have happened,

I think .30/bf on the landing is low. 

IMHO, Price delivered minus $50 seems like a  fair deal.

D

chep

GAB

I'm thinking if you ordered a whole truckload the delivery freight may not be a whole lot more.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

moodnacreek

You are trying to do L.T.L. [less than truck load].  The way to buy from loggers is to take what they need to sell as long as it includes what you need, on their schedule . Trying to order a few custom cut logs is almost impossible, delivered no less. Also what about shake? I pay $250 M for the hemlock in the mixed loads that come here.

Old Greenhorn

OK, I could have been more clear in my OP, I see that now. I am not going out shopping for logs from random or even known loggers. I asked a friend, who I have known since he was an annoying 14 year old kid and now has a very successful logging/excavating/septic system business. He lives on my road and you can't get to his place without passing mine, which he does about 6-8 times a day. Dropping logs off, for him means the next time he is going out with his deuce and a half dump truck, he will throw the logs in it, back into my driveway and dump, then go on to work. He never leaves the cab. He doesn't even care if I am here to pay him. Many times I have to chase him to pay him and then he doesn't know what to charge me. (I bought enough lumber from him 3 years ago to build a 12x21 loft which was 6x10" columns, 2x10x21' headers and 2x8 joists. He charged me $250 for the load and it took me 6 months to put the cash in his hand because I could never get him to stop in and get it.)
The reason I asked the question was simply the price of hemlock on the landing seemed a bit high to me. I would like to use him going froward as a log supplier. If the cost is going to be this high, I have to re-figure what things are worth and how that investment pans out in the final cost. I don't have the cash or the need for full log loads, but actually this works out OK, because he has buyers for his full loads. When he gets something decent he would probably like to unload it locally to somebody that will make something nice out of it and he gets a better price.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

moodnacreek

Greenhorn, You should consider yourself lucky to have a good neighbor that logs, no such luck ever for me. What I say is what I have learned the hard way and it took many years to have steady log supply without way too much. I did have a very good logger for several years [an honest man I could recommend to any land owner and still sleep at night] who was forced to close his business thanks to lime disease. Being a very small buyer makes it almost impossible to do what I have even though it is far from perfect.

Bruno of NH

I can get tree length hemlock a tri-axle load .15 cents a bdft but I have to pay delivery on top of that.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

BargeMonkey

Dropped in your yard for 6 logs ? I'm not going to say it's bad, not a great deal. Average hemlock is 225-250 down the road, loading trailers for canada right now is more but they wont take much junk and all long stuff. I've got that job to finish slashing when I get back, find you some sawable cherry, I've got hemlock, a pile of white pine down where we did that class I would about give away, you can buy me a cup of coffee. 

thecfarm

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 16, 2020, 12:15:23 PM
   He guarantees his logs for me, if I get a bad one, it gets replaced.    
Don't forget about the above either. It can be hard to see what's inside of a log at times. Yes, if you can turn the log over 2-3 times to see all sides. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on February 16, 2020, 09:39:41 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 16, 2020, 12:15:23 PM
  He guarantees his logs for me, if I get a bad one, it gets replaced.    
Don't forget about the above either. It can be hard to see what's inside of a log at times. Yes, if you can turn the log over 2-3 times to see all sides.
That job I cut in Altamont was the only time I've been fooled in volume about the quality of hemlock and it was more shake due to wind than mineral. Normally if they have set for a week or so you know when you start slashing it if its 8' wood or logs. We get a order for dunnage every once in a while from the mobile home company's, send it. Normally hemlock isnt sawed 1" except for some side lumber, normally all 2" and up, you can get away with a little bit here and there. 

ehp

Hemlock here is $400/1000 on landing but we donot cut hardly any if ever, In fact I have never cut a hemlock down here, Up north cut a lot of hemlock. Next job does have some to cut thou and its all going for 18 ft to 24 ft timbers

petefrom bearswamp

I paid 350/mbf delivered last year for the best I have ever sawed.
This is also the last i will ever saw as the mill is going in the spring.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

I give $ 250 gel in the yard. It has to have a 12" top and bigger, smaller 200.

The butt end nice and clean no shake is what you want.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Old Greenhorn

Well, since I have been back to making stuff in the shop and time and cash are two things I am shortest on I think I will wait a bit. If I had the cash I would just buy those logs to keep the relationship open. I would also love to take the grandboys for a ride up to Barges one saturday morning just so they could see what a logging operation looks like and get another visit with him. But Barge is so busy between the boat and the woods I hate to bother him. Now that I am sanding, I realize I need to get some of this stuff moving along before I expand the shop floor. Waiting a few more weeks means I can get down and pull one of our own hemlocks that has a diseased spot just over the stump. It's a hazard tree that needs to come down anyway and I might get all the wood out of that one tree is the rest is solid.
 Thanks for all the insight guys!
 Barge, we can still talk about that Cherry ;D :D

BargeMonkey

Tom if you could see what I set off the truck the other day to saw into survey stakes you would be heart sick. My last log check didnt average 500 per mbdft on decent wood, we dont play the games, just wont ship logs and saw it ourselves, avoid cutting good wood. Let me know, I've got a pile of stuff to slash up, find you some decent stuff to saw, other than that it will be pretty processor food. 

Kodiakmac

Six or seven years ago a local lad with a mill was paying $450 a thousand for sound hemlock and he was picking it up...and our dollars were pretty close to par then. He was cutting skids for a company that was dismantling and moving factories.  But I was talking to him a few weeks ago and he doesn't have that market anymore.  And nobody else is buying it either....unless you are prepared to pretty well give it away.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Thank You Sponsors!