iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 250

Started by wisdom, November 12, 2023, 08:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisdom

I need to replace the bar on my 250. I've not been impressed with Stihl bars versus Husky x tough bars. Any recommendations on a new bar? Any luck with Baileys Woodland bars?  I mainly use this saw for limbing and some firewood processing. 

beenthere

Just looking for something cheaper? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lxskllr

I'm a little surprised you don't like the Stihl bar. IMO, they're the best oem bars in the biz. I use WoodlandPro bars on my small saws. Think echo, poulan, etc; A04 mount. I do an immediate swap cause I prefer them. They're about the equal to those bars in durability, and have a larger nose, which I prefer. I don't think they're better than Stihl, but maybe you'd like them.

wisdom

The bar that came with my 250 has mushroomed at the edges seemingly quicker. Ive got a couple of older bars on Stihl saws that have served me well. I mainly wanted to try something new. I bought a 372XP which is the only Husky saw I've ever owned. I havnt logged the hours that I have on the 250 but the husqvarna has been impressive. Of course the two saws are in two different leagues. I have a farm boss and 016 that have been virtually trouble free.  

Keepfixin

There is a lot of variables for bars mushrooming or the edges rolling over. Could be too much chain tension " bars with a flat top and bottom wear differently than pro bars that have a taller profile in the center", lack of lubrication "partially obstructed oil pump", nose profile "like has been mentioned earlier", and also chain gauge ".050 vs .063". Just some possibilities. Husky bars to my knowledge are usually made by Oregon. Which is also a good brand. What I usually run if I had to buy a bar. It definitely looks like the bar manufacturers are starting to put a larger profile nose on the bars now. At least according to a quick google search ;-)
Jesus: The Way, the Truth, and the Life. John 14:6

Thank You Sponsors!