The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Forester Bars or Cannon Bars or another 60" bar manufacturer?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Forester Bars or Cannon Bars or another 60" bar manufacturer?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 05:04:06 AM »
GB titanium pro are the hardest wearing bar I've run across, and I've pretty much tried them all. Maybe a PITA to import, but with the AUD low against the greenback it'd be competitive I'd imagine.

About Us - GB Forestry - Performance Forestry Equipment
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 07:38:05 AM »
I did a bunch of chainsaw milling a few years ago, I had used a cannon bar. It was a USED cannon and still had a lot of life left in it. Still does.....point being it more than had enough to last through two peoples desire to horse that thing around! And I think in my humble opinion the thing that would work into the decision is how much milling you plan to do. If the answer is "A lot for a long time", the Cannon is the right bar and the extra money well spent. If you are just going to do a few pieces here and there those Foresters aren't a bad deal. I had run the "Red" bar they were calling a Pro bar for a few years and have to say the only complaint I had was they were heavy. They wore pretty well. I never killed a tip on them as I have a few other brands. So really nothing wrong with them for the money. For the casual user they are a good bar for certain. Especially ( I know this is off topic) the "green" ones for the smaller saws. Never tried their newer offerings as I moved to other brands.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »
GB titanium pro are the hardest wearing bar I've run across, and I've pretty much tried them all. Maybe a PITA to import, but with the AUD low against the greenback it'd be competitive I'd imagine.

I tried contacting them back in mar of last yr, then apr, and again in may. I heard nothing from them and their only 3 distributors do not have any contact other than a tele, which is an intl number. If their business model is to not reply back to someone attempting to give them $ for their product, id rather buy a chinese bar. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline offrink

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 06:00:59 PM »
I bought a 59 stihl bar from the dealer for about $250. Chain is $100 a piece and you want more than one. Keep them sharp!

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 06:54:47 PM »
I bought a 59 stihl bar from the dealer for about $250. Chain is $100 a piece and you want more than one. Keep them sharp!
@offrink
Can you send me your dealers contact? At $250 for a stihl, ill buy it, considering the stihl dealers in oregon and tx charge $460, and a forester 60 is $250.
Temple, Tx

Offline offrink

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »
I bought it at Cherry Valley stove and saw in Caledonia, MI. Good guys there. Old school customer service. 

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 04:28:53 AM »

I tried contacting them back in mar of last yr, then apr, and again in may. I heard nothing from them and their only 3 distributors do not have any contact other than a tele, which is an intl number. If their business model is to not reply back to someone attempting to give them $ for their product, id rather buy a chinese bar.
If you want me to get price and availability  I will. I've always found them good to deal with myself.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »

If you want me to get price and availability  I will. I've always found them good to deal with myself.
I appreciate the offer, but personally, my attempted dealings with them was poor, and i won't force or beg someone to take my money. if within 3 attempts to purchase their product, i don't receive some form of communicay back, i move on elsewhere. i have a 3 strike rule, if within 3 attempts, there is no traction, i stop my attempts and do something else or go elsewhere. 
but again, thank you for your offer.  
Temple, Tx

Offline DudeWithTrees

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 08:30:56 PM »
A Forester bar will work for what you need so long as you bump up the oil supply and scrape your bar after each slab.  

I worked right of way maint for electic co-ops and forester bars did not like to get hot at all.  If youre gental with them theyll last a while.  The sprocket wasnt bad.  The only part worth a durnit on the bar This was late 2008-2012 era.  Oregon bars lasted much longer.  I ran 26" bars on my 72cc 365.  
I only eat the finest organic non-GMO sour cream on my lead paint chips.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Forester bars for echo saws?

Started by gman98 on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2021, 08:15:18 PM
by Patrick NC
xx
clearing guide bars and bow bars

Started by SPIKER on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2007, 11:07:02 PM
by Brad_S.
xx
any suggestions on a "full chisel" chain for stihl 310? what about bars???

Started by fury1973 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 05:10:56 PM
by tcrew
xx
47" - 50" 3/8 Stihl-mount sprocket-nose bars

Started by DonnerParty on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post January 26, 2016, 11:53:40 PM
by Redbull661