Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

:D smiley_singsongnote01 East is east and west is west smiley_singsongnote01
And the wrong one I have chose smiley_singsongnote01
Let's go where I'll keep on wearin'
Those frills and flowers and buttons and bows 
Rings and things and buttons and bows

Whoops!  I'm gettin' carried away again. :D

Today we were sawing some small cypress that needed to be bucked up.  Because one of the saws was acting up, I got the chance to make an unposed picture of my customer, a logger, using a bow and a bar.  It is a good example of the reason a bow is easier on one's back.

DanG

A bow is the ticket for bucking. I wish I still had one, but it would be about $400. :o :o  I guess the prices went up when the whackos convinced the morons that they were dangerous. I used one for years, and found it to be far safer than a bar when the log is on the ground.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SasquatchMan

Call me crazy, but I pick one end of my logs up and put it on a rack.  Then I don't have to bend over.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Tom

Not crazy if you have a couple of logs and don't own a bow.

When you have 50 or 100 on the ground and more coming, it's nice to have a bow. :)

SasquatchMan

C'mon Tom.... a guy's gotta give his helpers something to do. :D
Senior Member?  That's funny.

DanManofStihl

I see bow saws all the time on ebay you can pick one up pretty cheap I have used a bow but now my company wont let us use them they are to dangerous compare to bars and the insurance wont like it.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Dean Hylton

we are kind of funny out here in Washington.  We  think a Stihl 044 or 046 with 28" bar is the answer to bending over. ;D

DanG

I have a 32" bar for my Echo 670, but still have to bend more than with a bow.  Kickback is worse when cutting with the tip of a bar, also. The bow has a claw that prevents kickback, and gives a leverage point to rotate the saw into the cut. The claw also comes in handy when starting the saw. Just rest it on the ground and you don't have to bend over or strain yourself drop-starting a big saw.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CBRSLIDER

Could you guys explain a little more in detail what exactly the Bow is and how it works.  It obviously replaces the bar but what exactly are the benefits, drawbacks, etc.  I tried to blow up the pics posted to this thread but could not see exactly how it worked.  I'd even appreciate a couple more pics of the bow.  It looks interesting and since I am a rookie to using a saw, I'm pretty interested in learning about the different saws and techniques.

Thanks

Ray

Tom

The Bow was developed specifically for bucking logs laying on the ground.  

Many consider it an instrument more dangerous than a Bar but the general consensus of those who use them is that they are not, if used correctly.  

The Bow is used in a fairly upright position  with the spur in contact with the log such that it will slide down the side of the log as the chain cuts.

This allows the operator to stand in a fairly upright position eliminating much back strain and providing much control over the saw.

The bow is a rim with an opening which allows the chain to cut through the log without the kerf closing on the bar as it passes.  If the kerf closes, there is nothing for wood to contact but the wood on the other side of the kerf.  It helps to alleviate binding.

For safeties sake:

Do not remove the guards.  (that exposes body parts to the  moving chain)
Do not use the Bow to brush with as you would a string trimmer. (a narrower brushing bow is made but its purpose is to dispose of small shrubs and not to be used in a sweeping action.
Do not use the Bow for Felling. (experienced loggers may fell small trees with one but it is not recommended.)
Do not raise a bow over your head.
Use all safety rules generally attributed to any chainsaw

A Bow cuts with the area that is of highest kickback danger, the tip.  It is designed to be used that way and should never be used without a spur.

It is a specialized tool to be used in specialty situations.  Used properly it is a relatively safe tool.  

It's bad reputation has been caused by operators dispensing with the safety gear and rules of use.

rebocardo

Thanks Tom! That was good info.

DanG

Good job, Tom.  That pretty much clears up the bow questions. :)   First time I ever seen the guards, though. :D :D

billbobtlh

A buddy gave me a poulan 3400 several years ago with a bow.I was kind of afraid of it until this year. Man that thing is nice for bucking! Respect it and it will really save your back.

Tom

You ought to take it over to DanG's house next time you go and let him marvel in nostalgia.  :D

Michael

I have a half dozen or more bow bars. I can take a picture if someone is interested. Two are new and have not been used.  I will sell them all for $400 and you can share them however you like. That includes shipping to the 48.   Mike
If you need saws or parts I may be able to help.

Thank You Sponsors!