iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need advice about getting logs home

Started by outofmire, August 19, 2009, 03:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

outofmire
Sure hope this works out for you. As thecfarm eluded to, I almost feel we should be telling you not to purchase a sawmill to start out sawing these logs. And without seeing a picture of the log pile, I'll just be nervous for you getting into this project.
Wish you the best.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Oh while where at it,   ;D  Dont forget to bring a minimum of two saws , might bring three if you have them .. trust me two is the minimum you will be needing ...  ;) It will get stuck , that is only a matter of time .  :D
Now if you dont have two saws , and you do get it stuck , dont try pulling it out by the handle . That will only cause you grief as the handle can and might break , take the power head off , and then a wedge can be hammered in with out hitting the motor and retreive your bar /chain . Taking the power head off seams like a little much to do , but trust me it aint , a piled up log can get to rolling quite quickly and without to much warning , with the motor safely out of the way , you will not be tempted to go and reach for it ....  ;)
Stay safe and have some fun .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

Good point about the two or three saws Marcel esp since he is 15 miles away....Sound advice about getting them away from there as well....Any time I am working up "free" trees, I try to figure which ones they want gone the worst and get them last....Not trying to be mean just keeping everything like it started out. ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

outofmire

I think I'm going to tell this guy I have to pass on these logs.  Sure it's free, but I don't even have all the equipment I need. Still have to finish this remodeling I'm doing on my kitchen.  In the meantime, I'm going to start assembling my equipment. Surely there will be other logs. Found a buyer for our 6 acres, and that will help fund my saw. I can't wait til I'm making sawdust.

isawlogs

I think you are wise to pass up on this opertunity and take time to build up your tool collection . Good move on your part .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Handy Andy

Too bad you've already talked yourself out of the deal, logs will store for a while.  Personally, I like using a car trailer for hauling logs, I just take a couple 2x6 about 5' long to use for ramps, and winch the logs over the side of the trailer.  The rails keep the logs from falling off while you load more, and I can get about all the logs on mine that my pickup will pull.  Take MS advice about having lots of stuff with you, need saws and chains and ratchet straps, don't want to lose anything on the road coming home.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

beenthere

outof mire
I think you made the right decision too. Maybe different thought here, if we'd seen the log pile. But doesn't sound good from your description. For starters, work out with some easier logs.

Maybe find a sawyer near who will give you some pointers, for mill, logging, hauling, etc. Just don't give up on doing it, as I think you will enjoy it given your ambition.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

outofmire

beenthere, no I'm definitely not giving up.  I've been wanting to do this for quite awhile.  I know there's easier ways, but it's not really about that.  It's about a love for wood.  But I don't want to get so in a hurry to buy equipment that I make poor decisions and get stuck with them.  And plus, as I said, I'm in the middle of remodeling.  I've just built a utility room, moving the plumbing and wiring, and next is to move the kitchen sink and diswasher, which is in an island, to the wall. 

I just found out the other day that my uncle built his own sawmill.  So, I think I will be paying him a visit soon to check it out.  He's just a short drive from me.   I have bought a good used 3/4 ton pickup, as I mentioned in another thread, and I'm getting great tips from all ya'll about sawmills, trailers, and other support equipment.  No, this lust for sawdust isn't diminishing; it's getting more intense!!! 

Thanks a ton for all the help.  I couldn't have found a greater resource.....or a nicer bunch of folks!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the Forum Mate  ;)  ;D 8) No, this lust for sawdust isn't diminising; it's getting more intense!!!  You said it all there  ;) ;D Your already one of Us Mate  ;) :D ;D 8) 8)

Ill second Beenthere said  ;) There are easy'er logs you can get out there Mate  ;) which is sad that tree clearing companys should Get It buy now  ::) that not all of us  own 30 tonners (excavators) that we can go around picking stuff out of windrows  :) ::)  a bit of thought in the first place on his part could have saved you alot of hassel  ;) From my experiance it seems most of these blokes are uneducated in their approch to things They either have a pile of junk logs that they think are worthit and put alot of work into then want an arm and a leg for  :o :) ::) or they windrow nice logs (eg Pine) because they think its worthless   ;) :( >:(

It might pay to chat with ppl who do (did) the clearing and tell (educate) them if they have anything worth looking a call before they do the job then you can go out and mark the ones you want and tell ( or spay paint it on the tree) them what you want out of it even if your willing to pickup while they have their gear still onsite or put it into a a pile you can access w/o much trouble  in the future   ;) You will soon have plenty of logs to keep you busy with a csm Mate  ;) ;D 8)

when you go and vist your uncle or any other mill whach out for Sawmill Envy  :D it would be the leading cause off sawmill purcases/builds  ;) :D :D :D

Keep us posted Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!