iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 026/MS260 max RPM

Started by SJK, January 10, 2015, 04:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJK

Hi everyone

I have a stock 260 takes about 12.300 rpm according to a tacho, and i have done a 026 with polished inlet and exhaust channels and a mufflermod, it takes about 13.500 rpm, both mesured with the bar and chain on, hot. According to bill´s saw shop a stock saw should take 14.000 rpm. cant find any data from stihl but idle speed

Any of you guys have some experience with this ?
Stihl MS260 FB, Stihl 026C Muff.Mod

Bilge Rat

13,500 to 13,800 is where the 026 is happy.
Make sure it is 4 stroking out of the wood at those RPMs, you can hear it clean up when you put it to wood.
Running it in wood then lifting it slightly you will hear it 4 stroke/be a little rich.

026 is a solid little saw, simple and strong with a little mod and sharp chain.

I have a few laying around. Good oil and gas and proper tune they will last many years.

CTYank

Does your saw have the carb with adjustable main mixture (WT-194 IIRC)? If not, what'cha gonna do about it? More important than unloaded max speed, is max speed under load- what AT is all about.
:new_year:
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

pine

Stihl Service manual for the 026 states max rpm 14000.  I agree with Bilge Rat i like it at just a bit under that.  Don't have the service manual on the 260 but good chance it is close to the same.

Al_Smith

Too much ado at RPMs' .It depends on altitude temperature etc .

As long as it's 4 stroking out of the cut and the spark plug is nice shade of light tannish color it's good to go.A couple hundred RPM's dead stick wide open doesn't mean much .

SJK

Thanks for the answers.

It 4-strokes when not cutting, and it stops the minut it touches the oak  ;)

It cuts way better than the stock 260 I have, and it´s the same bar and chain i use.
I move it from saw to saw, cause im in doubt what size bar to buy for the 026, been talking to the stihl dealer about 13" and 15", If I take the 15" all my chains can be used for both of them. We also sav if there was a 6 tooth running wheel, but they only make 7 tooths for the 026/260 at stihl.

I´d also like to try to do the ignition timing a little bit to try gain a little more power, but dont know if its possible, or just waste of time.
I´ve heard about guys doing mods to the flywheel, but to me it makes more sens to make the coil adjustable, but then again, is it waste of time? ;D
Stihl MS260 FB, Stihl 026C Muff.Mod

Thank You Sponsors!