iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mardi Gras 2024

Started by Magicman, February 07, 2024, 07:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The 2024 New Orleans Carnival season started on Saturday, Jan. 6, and concludes on Mardi Gras, Tuesday Feb. 13, soooo
IMG_5159.JPG
It was time to buy a King Cake.  It's a highly decorated cinnamon roll.  The plastic baby seen on top is supposed to be baked within the cake but they posed a choking danger, especially with children, so now they are placed on top of the cake. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wlmedley

MM, what's the story on having a plastic baby and coins on something you eat :ssst:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

21incher

Now I have seen everything.  That cake looks gross.  :xyxnervous: 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Quote from: 21incher on February 07, 2024, 08:24:39 PMNow I have seen everything.  That cake looks gross.  :xyxnervous:
I can assure you, it tastes nothing like it looks. Like Lynn said, Its like a huge gooey heavily iced cinnamon roll. except in has NOLA colors and sprinkles. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: Wlmedley on February 07, 2024, 07:26:06 PMMM, what's the story on having a plastic baby and coins on something you eat :ssst:
This is the first time that I have ever seen coins on top so ??

For the baby I suggest using Google: "baby in a king cake" for some interesting reading.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

A previous year's King Cake:
IMG_1756.JPG
This one had a baby, colored sugar, and beads.

Southside

I don't even want to know what you displayed to get those beads MM  :wiseguy:
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

21incher

Quote from: Jeff on February 07, 2024, 08:32:57 PM
Quote from: 21incher on February 07, 2024, 08:24:39 PMNow I have seen everything.  That cake looks gross.  :xyxnervous:
I can assure you, it tastes nothing like it looks. Like Lynn said, Its like a huge gooey heavily iced cinnamon roll. except in has NOLA colors and sprinkles. 

I couldn't get past that baby hairless mouse cooked into it :coolsmiley:. I just  burned a nest full of them  :xyxnervous:
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

I don't understand the negative comments. ??  :-\
Comparing a King Cake baby to a dead mouse is very much below the usual professionalism displayed here.

King Cakes, babies, beads, and coins are all New Orleans Mardi Gras traditions.

Magicman

Some previous years Mardi Gras Babies:

Wlmedley

MM, I took your advice and looked it up on google. Wasn't being negative just curious. If they would help my luck I'm all for it. I guess it's kind of like putting candles on a birthday cake  :wink_2:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

21incher

Quote from: Magicman on February 08, 2024, 08:30:58 AMI don't understand the negative comments. ??  :-\
Comparing a King Cake baby to a dead mouse is very much below the usual professionalism displayed here.

King Cakes, babies, beads, and coins are all New Orleans Mardi Gras traditions.
When I first saw that cake on my phone the little thing on top looked like the nest of just born mice I found in the firewood pile on the porch in the morning and threw in the woodstove. Little naked things on their backs 🙈. 

Magicman

21, As far as I am concerned, comparing something that I was going to eat to dead mice was in very poor form.  Think what you want, but that did not justify putting it here on the open forum.   :-\

Magicman

Quote from: Wlmedley on February 08, 2024, 12:43:46 PMWasn't being negative just curious.
Bill, in no way was my "negative comment" directed toward you.  Yes, a Google search took you to some of the very early Mardi Gras history.

beenthere

Some things are best left un-said. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Everyone has their own opinions and I tell it like I see it.  That cake just is not right in my opinion  :vanish:

beenthere

Won't "tell it like I see" what the beef/pork meatloaf dish could look like, just sayin. Better judgement prevails. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on February 08, 2024, 03:36:54 PM21
Won't "tell it like I see" what the beef/pork meatloaf dish could look like, just sayin. Better judgement prevails.
My granddaughter won't  eat it either. She thinks she is a Vegan but eats chicken. Better judgment isn't putting a naked baby on a cake in my opinion. 

Jeff

Alright. Lineup. Shake hands.

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on February 08, 2024, 08:54:48 AMSome previous years Mardi Gras Babies:
Magic, so you know, having that many babies will make you fat

Magicman

Yes but note that they span 5 years. 

I just finished a slice of King Cake with my coffee.  Wish you were here. 

Jeff

Old Greenhorn

Who is Ida? smiley_angel02_wings smiley_divide :wiggle:
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!