iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Cedar and termites

Started by kderby, January 22, 2010, 03:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

Is Eastern Red Cedar termite resistant?  I mill Western Juniper (relative of ERC)and we do not have much in the way of termites round here.  I was curious how ERC hold up in soil contact?????

Don't know if this belongs here but I am a sawyer and wanted to ask other sawyers.

Thanks

Kderby

Bro. Noble

The heartwood lasts a long time in contact with the soil-------the sapwood doesn't.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

kelLOGg

I don't think you will ever see termites in the heartwood.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Larry

Don't worry about the termites as they don't eat much...but these guys do.

In my experience termites and there cousins don't much like the heartwood.  Powder post beetles really enjoy the bark and sapwood.

I almost hate to post this as I can't remember where I read the news.  ERC was approved in some places in lieu of PT for sill plates.  A excellent alternative to corrosive ACQ pressure treated.  Check your local codes.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Cedarman

I have seen termites eat the sapwood on a ERC fence post that still had the bark on it. Havn't seen much activity if the bark is off.
Carpenter ants on the other hand don't eat the wood, they hollow out the wood to provide themselves a home.  They usually only go into cedars that have some heart rot to make it easy on themselves.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

campy

Those are great photos.
Eastern Red Cedar comes frequently to my mill.
The ants like to nest in the bottoms of the trunks.

It cuts like butter even with a dull blade.

Magicman

Yes, termites will eat ERC, and for the record.....they will also eat pressure treated SYP.  Big time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trickn7474

Brucer

Quote from: Cedarman on January 22, 2010, 09:39:40 PM
Carpenter ants on the other hand don't eat the wood, they hollow out the wood to provide themselves a home.  They usually only go into cedars that have some heart rot to make it easy on themselves.

Interesting. They also like to build homes in Western Red Cedar (which is totally unrelated to ERC) -- but only in rotten heartwood. They won't touch the sapwood or sound heartwood. Heart rot in WRC has to have a path to get into the tree -- usually a broken off branch or root. The ants just follow the rot in.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Cedarman

Magicman, I had a dog one time that ate spinach.  I fed him nothing for 10 straight days but spinach and he finally got to eating it. ;) ;) That might be the way it is with termites and cedar heartwood. Now sapwood, they will partake of it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

They like heart cherry also.....don't ask me how I know.... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!