iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber inspection

Started by Madman_Mark, December 23, 2011, 03:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

If I want to use lumber that I've milled myself to use in home building what kind of inspection does it need to go through before Im allowed to use it ? Im in Nova Scotia, Canada. Im sure the rules vary depending on where you are and what exactly its usd for. Thanks, Im pretty new to this milling stuff,just got a chainsaw mill a few months ago and Im now looking at portable bandsaw mills.....you guys warned me this would happen  :)

Ianab

Probably need to check with the local building inspectors. They are the ones that will be enforcing the rules, so they are the ones you have to keep happy. It can vary from town to town.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

redbeard

Our planning dept. Will let us use rough sawn Douglas fir if it is next size up. example if 2x6 is called for, you would have to use 2x8 for wall framing. Otherwise you would have to hire a structure lumber grader.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

eastberkshirecustoms

Up in your neck of the woods, you should ask the man himself- Mike Holmes eh eh

mill_boy

Quote from: Madman_Mark on December 23, 2011, 03:05:37 PM
If I want to use lumber that I've milled myself to use in home building what kind of inspection does it need to go through before Im allowed to use it ? Im in Nova Scotia, Canada. Im sure the rules vary depending on where you are and what exactly its usd for. Thanks, Im pretty new to this milling stuff,just got a chainsaw mill a few months ago and Im now looking at portable bandsaw mills.....you guys warned me this would happen  :)

Last i heard you can use rough sawn lumber for bungalows, additions, and barns/garages. Other than that it has to be grade lumber if your building a 1.5 story or taller house i do believe. I maybe wrong try asking at lumber yards like central or home depot they MIGHT be able to tell ya or you could try the building codes.

jueston

Quote from: eastberkshirecustoms on December 23, 2011, 07:07:34 PM
Up in your neck of the woods, you should ask the man himself- Mike Holmes eh eh

hahahaha if anyone would know, it would be him....

Thank You Sponsors!