iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Irish Soda Bread

Started by 21incher, March 17, 2015, 06:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

My wife baked a nice Irish Soda Bread today to go with our Corned Beef, cabbage, & red potato dinner we had tonight.

We do this every St Patricks day. We call it being Irish for a day:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

samandothers

drooling here!   Looks great, not to mention the other food prep'd to go with it.  Love me some corned beef and cabbage!

bhall

21incher, I am drooling here also, that is some fine looking bread & sounds like a mighty good dinner.
Did you make that cutting board ?
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

21incher

Quote from: bhall on March 17, 2015, 09:08:10 PM
21incher, I am drooling here also, that is some fine looking bread & sounds like a mighty good dinner.
Did you make that cutting board ?
Bob
I look forward to it every year. I made the slicer about a year ago and it is used about everyday with all the bread my wife makes. Here is the link to the slicer. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,72623.msg1096690.html#msg1096690  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Looks good!  perfectly browned!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bhall

21incher, I followed the link, thank you. Also have followed some of your other projects & I agree with the beaver man, you definitely do some beautiful work and Dave Shepard gave me some good laughs and then I read your explanation of production cutting, awesome information. The company that I used to work for had a few ovens, ended up with some of the spare refractory, enough to build my own bread oven, another project waiting on the list. Do you perhaps know a man Bob Rucker that used to work for the Refractory Maintenance Group up there in New York? He has a nice business that sales the brick & mortar for the small ovens. And I sure agree with you & everyone else, home made bread is the best. I am really lucky since I can grow my own grain. Need to find a supplier for YEARS, need about 40 more.
Bob

21incher

Quote from: bhall on March 18, 2015, 09:33:33 AM
21incher, I followed the link, thank you. Also have followed some of your other projects & I agree with the beaver man, you definitely do some beautiful work and Dave Shepard gave me some good laughs and then I read your explanation of production cutting, awesome information. The company that I used to work for had a few ovens, ended up with some of the spare refractory, enough to build my own bread oven, another project waiting on the list. Do you perhaps know a man Bob Rucker that used to work for the Refractory Maintenance Group up there in New York? He has a nice business that sales the brick & mortar for the small ovens. And I sure agree with you & everyone else, home made bread is the best. I am really lucky since I can grow my own grain. Need to find a supplier for YEARS, need about 40 more.
Bob

I have never heard of the man or company you mentioned. I would also like to try growing my own grain and buying a mill in the future. I think my to do list must be as long as yours. :)

BradMarks

That is some good looking bread!  Congrats to the baker and all the eaters ;D.  We too had CB and cabbage, and last night CB hash, with an egg of course, even if it was dinner.  Reminded me certainly of growing up when the canned stuff from Argentina filled the plates in our household.  It was cheap and fed 5 hungry boys, and tasted good - Mom must've done her magic. 

bhall

21incher, sorry for sidetracking your thread, just thought this might be good info for you. The reason I mentioned Bob Rucker is because he makes an ideal mortar for bread ovens among other applications. His products are carried in a huge number of retail outlets, might be a store near you. Google his web site for what he offers "heatstoprefractorymortar.com". Bob is a very good friend and a fine person. In the past I used his mortar in kilns that ran at 2200° F and it held up well, it is a superior product.  In the future I certainly intend to use his mortar for building  a fireplace & hopefully the bread oven.
Bob

21incher

Thanks bhall it looks like the missing link I was looking for before starting a brick oven. They list my local block company as a reseller so I will have to check it out. :)

Thank You Sponsors!