iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for post-and-beam resources

Started by Engineer, November 20, 2014, 08:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I am planning on building a garage/workshop over the next year or so.  I've looked at the various ways that I can build the structure, including metal building, timber frame and stick-built.  None of those really work for me.  I would like to do what I've heard called "post-and-beam" or pole and purlin.  Basically the frame is constructed of 6x6 rough sawn timbers with braces and metal connector plates with through bolts or lags, and then the frame is wrapped in 2x4 purlins to attach siding.  There's a lot of pictures online and a couple books I have found with building ideas, but I am looking for resources on technique - specific technique on how to make the connections, proper sizing of the members, etc.  I will have plenty of access to small-diameter pine so most of what I can saw will be 4x4 and 6x6 timber, heart-centered, with 1x and 2x stock from the faces.  I would like to keep most of what I saw to 12' or shorter, although I will need to be able to find 20' roof rafters since I don't want to buy extra sections for a sawmill just to saw one roof's worth of lumber.

Can anyone point me in the direction of good details for this kind of project or give me some advice?  FWIW, the building frame will be sitting on a concrete frost wall and concrete slab, I will use spray-foam for insulation, and it will have vertical wood siding and metal roof.

EDIT:  I suppose I should add that timber-frame really isn't out of the question, since that's what my house is, but I was looking for something simpler to construct. 

woodjunky

Sounds like a good plan you got. Whats your snow load where you live in VT? Up in the mountains?

Thank You Sponsors!