iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shelterwood Planting

Started by Treeflea24, March 16, 2024, 01:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeflea24

Hi Everyone, I'd like to get your thoughts on a planting approach that I am considering.
Ive been working for a few years now on removing bush honeysuckle and other invasive shrubs. When Im done with an area Im usually left with a mostly barren understory. The taller mature trees that remain are often species that aren't very desirable (to me), like hackberry, honeylocust, boxelder, etc.
I'm considering planting red and white oaks, black walnut, and some other species seedlings in these areas, to eventually change the makeup of these areas over time. Currently these areas have some overstory shade, but not complete, maybe 50-75%. All of the species that I have in mind for planting have low tolerance for shade. My thought is to plant these seedlings in the newly cleared, but partially-shaded areas, give them a few years to get established in this lower light environment, then once they have a foothold, begin selectively girdling some of the larger over story hackberries and locust. 
My understanding/logic around this is that the lower light conditions can actually be a good thing for seedlings getting started, rather than 100% sunlight (is this right?), and then also that this approach would lessen the chances of other invasives/undesirables getting established compared to the case where I just killed the overstory trees on day 1 and let a ton of light in. Does that logic hold up? or am I missing any important considerations?
I've read about shelterwood cutting, and in my mind what I've outlined above is similar, but with a more active approach in terms of planting and regeneration. 
Thoughts? A few pics below show examples of these types of locations.

-

Tarm

All of the tree species you mention will do fine in full sun. It is true that some shade many help with tree seed germination but you are talking about planting seedlings. It is also likely that you will need tree shelters to protect your new seedlings from deer browsing. The shelters themselves provide all the shade newly planted seedlings require. It will also be easier to control future invasive plant growth with the new seedlings in shelters.
Retaining the undesirable overstory trees will just result in more undesirable understory seedlings. Why make more work for yourself? Kill everything and start a new forest!

SwampDonkey

What we do is clearcut that type of woods and replant up here in NB. But we don't plant hardwoods here too much. Hardwood is hard to replant here, the wildlife will destroy it, especially oaks or birch or red maples. Walnut might be like butternut where the only thing that climbs it is squirrels. But an oak will have the top ripped out of it by black bears as soon as it starts to make nuts, if the rabbits haven't browsed it too death before hand.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

I would look towards direct seeding combined with selectively girdling to let more light in. This would avoid issues with deer browse, allow a thick understory to develop (which will hopefully smother any invasive species) and if need be, allow you to set it and forget it!
SAF Certified Forester

BrandonTN

Oak seedlings are grown in full sun at the nursery, i dont think there would be any benefit from shade when planted. Its common around here to plant oak after clearcuts or  supplementarily after overstory removals. More of a concern for survival would be getting them in the ground swiftly after nursery lift and very very early in spring (in NC mtns we plant late Feb as soon as ground temp is above freezing). Oaks are slow growing, controlling competition would be important and any browsing from wildlife.
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Thank You Sponsors!