iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help to Id this 440

Started by Mt406, December 09, 2019, 08:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

Some times you have a impulse buy.
So now I own a skidder.
I was told it was a JD440B 1978  ser tag is missing also engine tag is missing.
I was told that it couldn't be a 78 because the C model came out in 76-77 
Judging by the wheels I think its a A model.
So far all it needs is a water pump a new fuel tank, some oil leaks sealed up and a lot of welding. They put that wing plow on it and plowed power line right aways.
Also needs a seat and all new gauges some one smashed all of them.
Any info on age or model and parts supply would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott

snowstorm

what dates that skidder is the one shift lever. its old. deere offered a update kit to change to 2 levers. that was about 1976. that skidder is one of the first. it is not a b and may not be an  a . i guess is it was built around 1967 or 8. it has the cast hubs. that makes a   a or older. from your pics. it dose have the b engine side panels. they had holes to go with the b pusher fan. deere says they built the first 440 around 1965

tacks Y

My vote is just a 440 not an A. The A had log stops higher on the blade arms. Nice looking rubber. I think Snowstorm meant to say 1966 for the 2 levers. I had an A with an aux fuel tank also mounted on the roof. Put a tank in from a 440 but split the machine to do it. I do have a few parts from a 440, but some went in the scrap dumpster this year. Still here and more to go when prices rise.

Mt406

Thanks for information.
Sense the purchase my knee has been giving me trouble.
Had a MRI now have a appointment with a surgeon.
Amazing how fast things can change.
Now I am having to reassess.
Are the water pumps rebuildable. Weres a good place for parts. Something's have to be fixed no matter what happens.

Thanks again
Scott

Frickman

If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

snowstorm

i have a 4 page ad that deere put out. it a time line of what was built when it says they released the 440 in 1965. as far as the 2 shift levers i put some of those up date kits in when i worked for a deere dealer in 76. the 440 had a smaller motor than the a also had a gas motor both 59 hp the a had a 219 70 hp. yours has the newer injection pump. and someone put a delco alt. on it. they came with a motorola. as far as the blade the late a and b had the extra piece to keep wood from getting behind the blade. if your frame isnt broke up you got lucky. one other thing to look at is the steering brackets both front and rear. over all it looks pretty good

snowstorm

Quote from: tacks Y on December 10, 2019, 07:58:44 AM
My vote is just a 440 not an A. The A had log stops higher on the blade arms. Nice looking rubber. I think Snowstorm meant to say 1966 for the 2 levers. I had an A with an aux fuel tank also mounted on the roof. Put a tank in from a 440 but split the machine to do it. I do have a few parts from a 440, but some went in the scrap dumpster this year. Still here and more to go when prices rise.
no i didnt

Firewoodjoe

I had a early straight 440. Looked identical to that one but mine was the gas. That is the true syncorange shifter. Same as a 4020 deer tractor. I had a manual for mine from Deere and yes the first year for the 440 was 1965. I'd say a straight 440.

Brian_Rhoad

tacks Y

Sorry Snowstorm, I misread your post to say they went to the 2 levers in 76 not came out with a kit to convert.

Mt406

Thanks for help identifying.
Feeling a little suckered as to age of unit. I was told it was a 1978 next time do more home work. Not the first time to be suckered I an sure it wont be the last, hard to find honest people any more.
Surprised how many parts are on line. 
 Snow There are some cracks blade is all cracked with that big hunk of metal hanging off the blade lots of cracks.
There two cracks above the front axle going horizontal about 6 in long they have been welded looks like a high school shop class type job recracked I will grind out and reweld and fish plate.
articulation cylinders end on the back look good I will have to clean some greese to check front
Any other places common to crack.

Thanks 
Scott

snowstorm

if you paid 10k or less you did ok. look at it this way you are preserving a piece of history. there are still a lot of them like yours still working everyday. be very careful on steep ground and dont trust the parking brake. parking brake on then put it in park an it aint going nowhere 

snowstorm

one other thing nice snow plow. is that a frink wing?frink built a lot of plows for big trucks. i have several along with new and newer everest plows

snowstorm

the screw with the roll pin through it on the hydraulic pump will destroke it. turn it all the way in and it will start better in the cold 

Gearbox

Watch the hubs if you see rust streaks they are working on the axel . there is a kit to pump 2 part Devcon into the hub with a caulking gun . I remember my brother doing his .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!