iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chip deflectors

Started by r.man, January 01, 2011, 06:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

I have heard of chip deflectors but I am unclear how common they are or where they are located. From reading a recent post I gather that they keep chips from riding under the band on the driven wheel. Could someone enlighten me further please. Thanks.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

ladylake

My mill came with one but it was real flimsy and soon broke then after 5 years of running without one I made a good one out of 1/8  x 1" flat metal bent it a 90* angle and mounted it to the sawdust side guide wheel.  I set it about 1/8" above the blade and and almost out to the teeth, that keeps the chips and sawdust from getting between the blade and guide wheels and bandwheels. This has increaded my blade life a LOT.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

redbeard

This is what ladylake is talking about we have same mill, I made mine out of 1/8" and made it 2" wide it protects guide roller too when sometimes a slab will slam into it on exit of cut.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

Looks good Redbeard, do you keep it 1/8" above the blade, I think the closer the betterwithout hitting. I've broken around 5 blades this summer doing a lot of sawing, I would have broken at least 25 without it.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

redbeard

Yes i keep it as close as i can ,I put a wiper on the outside once but it didn't last very long.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

eireog68

speaking of mods does anyone have pics of a refit from manual log dog to hydraulic and or toe boards i would like to do both using the spare open valve and the loader arm valve
Back to Basics with new age tools
If we all had desk jobs who would make the desks
Buy American and give your children job,s
or buy imported and have to support them for life.

Thank You Sponsors!