iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

B20 Setworks

Started by Bolson400, January 29, 2020, 08:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolson400

When I bought the mill, the setworks were disconnected. It had some other more important gremlins to be worked out so I'm just getting to figuring out the setworks. I've gone through every connection and cleaned each one. The wiring matches the diagram in the manual. My problem is, I am getting no display on the setworks screen. When the setworks are switched ON, only up will work. When setworks are OFF, both up and down will work. Mike at TK emphasized that EVERY connection was important for the setworks to function properly. So I went through them again. He also said TK will test the box, harness, and sensor if I send it to them. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this and I could fix the problem on my end before sending it in. 

crowhill

Bolson400 not knowing why it was disconnected in the first place and it not working right why not send it in and have it gone thru? Is it cost prohibitive? My thoughts are eliminate any possible issues with it from the get go. But then you young guys understand electronics better than some of us old guys! Good luck with it! Let us know how it works out.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Two Trax

I have  B-20, have not had the best of luck with the setworks. Messed with them a while and finally just bought some good scales. Have gotten pretty good with them. I am not a high production commercial sawyer though. 

Ladylake may chip in, he seems to know these mills front to back. 
Livin the dream!

ladylake

You might pull the front cover off the computer and check for a broken wire inside .  Otherwise send them in, I don't think they even charge for testing the components.  All 3, the computer, the wiring harness and the sensor would cost around  $1000 but I'd bet on the computer.  You also should get a good industrial cord reel.  I like the setworks, if it doesn't work it gets fixed.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

doc henderson

I had trouble with my encoder.  I replaced the valve and it did not fix the problem.  ended up getting the encoder rebuilt and all is fine. TK is helpful.  but you kinda have to do some legwork.  I have the b2000.  I have the info for the encoder place.  I could of bought a new one or the upgraded model but have to make modifications to my mill.  In talking with the encoder company and later with Matt at TK,  heat from the exhaust was causing fatigue on the encoder, they have now added a heat shield, and others have replaced the muffler pointed the other direction.  I think a new one was 700 buck, the rebuild was less than 300 and I was told they basically replace everything but the case.  my failure was after 7 years of hobby/homeowner semi industrial use.
ps all components work off the others, and therefore like many things electronic, can be hard to pinpoint the issue.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bolson400

I'm definitely on board to get an industrial cord reel. I have a lead on one but working on funds. I got this mill on the cheaper side, which was great, it's taken quite a bit to get it going though. The list is much shorter now. 

Wow! Those prices are higher than I was hoping for a worst case scenario. The whole system seems awful simple. Worth it in the long run I can see though. Maybe someone would part with their setworks they have laying around. I've heard of a few people who have bypassed their setworks. I'll put up a wanted ad. Wouldn't mind having a spare if mine ends up being ok. 

doc henderson

as a diagnostician, I think your first step is identifying the problem.  then you can make a good decision.  when I replaced the electo-hydralic valve, it was listed very expensive at TK.  My cousin who works in manufacturing told me to google it.  found it for 1/3 the price with the identical part number. I got it in two days from amazon. it did not fix my problem, but the internal connection were so corroded that I broke a screw trying to clean and check my connections.  this is why I thought it was the problem, and need to be replace, but did not fix the problem.  TK and Mike can help you over the phone and I got the same "check every wire and connection".  after changing out the valve, Mike was able to tell me it was the encoder.  Hate for you to buy a new or used computer module, and have it not solve your problem,  if it is not working anyway, you have not much to loose sending it in.  TK is good with advice, but like with other companies, have a healthy markup in parts ect.  Matt is a down to earth resource and could tell you if a total upgrade would give an advantage and how much it would cost. 
@Will_Johnson 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ladylake

Just to clarify , that's $1000 for all 3 not $1000 each   .  I do a lot of sawing and the setworks makes it faster and more accurate, no need to bring the head all the way back so I can read the scale good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

doc henderson

what is the industrial cord real you are all speaking of?

Bolson400

I'm not sure how the 2000 works. But on the B20, the toggle switch is the only electrical control at the operators station. It's connects the toggle switch to the saw head up/down. It's one of the weak points in the mill. It can loose contact not function properly. The industrial cord reel is more heavy duty and keeps the connections better. 

ladylake

A good industrial cord reel has spring loaded heavy duty brushes on all circuits.   On the TK 2000 the wires run through the energy chain.  Steve

tylerltr450

I made a setworks that can work with any mill as long as your willing to wire it in.

Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Bolson400

@tylerltr450 I sent you a PM. I'm very interested to learn more about your setworks. 

tylerltr450

Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Thank You Sponsors!