iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite saw to run

Started by oldsaw-addict, March 04, 2004, 04:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw-addict

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that someone would like to know what everyones favorite saw is. so I'm just asking for the fun of it, What is your favorite model chainsaw? Mines the 066 and 090G from Stihl. You can choose whatever model you like, I dont really care what the favorite saw is I'm just curious.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

tony_marks

my favorite is my 962 efco with 16 inch bar.. my favorite saw was always the 028.. the 962  feels just like the 028 and wts the same.. but 15 more cc of power.. it isthe best fire wood saw ive owned..of course the fact that im using squarefiled chain dont hurt.. :)

SasquatchMan

:D :D :D  My choice is between a MS290 and an electric poulan 1420... both absolute cadillacs ;)
Senior Member?  That's funny.

oldsaw

Homelite 150.  Trim, well balanced, good power, 16" bar.  I learned on one and still have that same saw.  Had a friend with an old midsize Husky.  Didn't like the balance, but the power was nice.  

I've got an 066 coming in a week or two, going to replace the 36" bar it's got with a 20", 24" max, and save the 36" for silly tree felling (got a hickory to take down that would qualify, as well as a sycamore right next to it)  Have another 36" bar for a mill attachment.  But I will test your theory.  The power will sure be nice.  Power Rules!!!

BTW, someone had to try to "one-up" me.  So, if your are an "addict", how many old saws do you have?  I'm up to 5.  A 12" Sears, two Homelites (Super XL, and 150), an old Wards (I guess it was built by Remington), and now the 066.

Now it's time to "fess up".
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

oldsaw-addict

I have about 6 or so, maybe more. I basically do repairs on older model saws and am addicted to the work I do.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

smokechaser

lets see

I like to run all my saws whenever the time is right.  The 044 is a screamer after the power porting. I did it in 1994 and havent looked back since.  Both of my 056's are a hoot also. Heavy, but tork is a great thing. They'll pull their 32 inch bars with a ton to go. I also have a Brazilian made 038 mag that has an impresive amount of snap to it.  I like that one pretty well. I run a 32 on it also.  My wife's 036 is a hoot.  She didnt like any of the other saws so we bought that one.  And of course the 090.  That one is a ripper.  Im almost done rebuilding that one.  So I guess I like all saws.  But to answer the question, I like the 044 the best.  I've had it since 1993 and I run em at work.  I have allways liked the 044 and allways will.
Dave

woodsjunkie

A PP 372 hands down the best saw I have ever had in my hands.
Your allowed to have an excuse, you just cant use the same one twice.

Oregon_Rob

372 with a freshly filed chain! 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

kenskip1

This one is a toss up for me. The 028 is light and easily maneuvered, however the 041 is well balanced and cuts like hello!. I will give the 028 the better of the two.
                                                        Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

SawInIt CA

I am partial to my ms 460 with a 32" bar. It really throws the chips.

Frickman

MS 460 with a 20", full skip square tooth chain. Don't know how Stihl can top that saw, but I'm sure they will someday.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Mark M

I like my Husky 345 or Jonsereds 630. I have a little Husky 141 for use with my dovetail jig and it really works nice for cutting up slabs.

isawlogs

For me it's a draw , 046 and the 038 mag both are great saws
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Lenny_M

Still 020AV pro. small nice old saw.Husky 44 Nice small saw.Still 29 My faverite saw. Jhonny 2095 Plenty of power for the big stuff but heavy,stops at nothing ;D

Hunter

I  have always liked the Husqvarna, But Now I am leaning to the new 7900 Dolmar
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Hawkin50

Hello all.Looks like spring is just around the cornor.I have many many saws some farly new but most are older models.Mostly homelites from the mid 70s to mid to late 80s.Have a coulp huskys 272 @ 298.I seem to enjoy running my johnny 590  18" bar and my homelite xl 76 and super xl 922 the best.Dont care for the shils that much,but thats probably just me.All my customers and friends use them and thats fine with me.Two each his own.When they stop working they all bring them to me to fix.Well thats all I have to add here ,thanks for listening .Hawkin.

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
A 120si Dolmar with 24 inch bar get's my vote ..had it since 89  not like granddads  axe yet  but had a set of rings and a few rims  but not alot of fixing  ..only had my Dolmar PS 9010 on my mill but oneday there is a 40 inch bar with a 404 chain singing out to have a run in the woods 8)
catch ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Corley5

In big northern hardwood I like my Husky 395 filed just right.  In smaller stuff, soft wood, and general around the farm use my 372 Husky is the first one out of the shed.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

redpowerd

strapped to the atv would be the 14"025, good for swingin and starts on the first pull
the 12"021 is handy for a punk to limb with, what punk would complain hes tired?
fellin is done with a 20"036 or 20"032
but my fav. is my little homelite super xl automatic.
starts right up and is super quick and loud
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

travelr64

I have an 029 and a jonsered 2071, but my favorite saw is my echo cs-346 with a 16" bar.  It always starts with a couple of pulls, is easy to handle, and just keeps on cuttin!

Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

oldsaw

That is one serious chunk o'saw.

Got a 20" bar coming for it...I can feel a power addiction coming on fast.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Preston

My Favorite saw would have to be 064! love that saw and also a souped up 066! Love both them saws good saws! :-*
Preston

Bushwhacker

Stihl 460 for big stuff - 018 for small. Some day I'm going to have to try  a  Husqvarna I guess.          B.S.
KLH

OneWithWood

Stihl MS440 Mag with a dual port muffler and semi skip square chain.  Balanced, light, powerful and really rips through the wood.  Depending on the diameter of the tree I run a 20" or 25" bar.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shoot

Always been partial to the Sachs-Dolmars, still am I guess cause my 115i is my favorit saw of all time.
Larry

Thank You Sponsors!