iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning

Started by Sarah Duval, March 16, 2012, 11:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Duval

Hello all, my wife and I have started a small business with my father making and selling grade stakes and trailer decking. I am a heavy diesel tech by trade so i am not familiar with cutting lumber. I am looking for some help finding good books and possibly a tech school that i could do part time to learn. My father loves finish woodworking and has been doing it for years but we never milled our own lumber. We live in southern NH. We bought the mill originally as a hobby for my dad but he knows so many people in the construction industry here that we started making the grade stakes. Now i want to take it further and make a bussiness out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Robert.

Cutting Edge

Welcome to the Forum!!!  I cannot offer any advice on books or tech schooling, but there is an abundance of information located here.  The "search" box can be your best freind.  Hours of enjoyable and educational reading.  I know, I have been doing it.  Best of luck in your endeavor w/ your business goals...You've come to the right place!!!  Great Folks Here!!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Sarah Duval

Thank you I have been checking out the forums for about 2 weeks now and was a little hesitant about posting, I didn't want to sound like a total newbie but that's what I am. I have found a ton of info here already and I am absolutely amazed with the fourmus here.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum Sarah Robert.

Pull up a stump.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sarah Duval

wait no need to cross out my name i am here too....... :-*  LOL

tcsmpsi

Everyone is, or has been, a newbie.   ;)

Quite a few ol' grandfathers hanging around here and have tendency to shine when able to share. 

Welcome, to you both!   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

eastberkshirecustoms

Welcome Sarah and Robert! What kind of mill do you have?

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Sarah.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Sounds like there are two of you, but I am just checking  :).  Welcome to the Forum.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Welcome Rob,I assume you have a small bandmill.Milling is one of those things you learn by doing, like riding a bicycle.Put some logs on the mill and have at it.Some of the manuf. have instructions and all bandmills are about the same as to sawing.There are probibly some FF members close to you mayby you could work with them a day or so thats all it takes. Do you sharpen your own bands.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Robert/Sarah Duvall.   smiley_divide   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Robert & Sarah  :) ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) I dont know about courses in the States but I personally think nothing beats getting time in on your mill and I am pretty sure we will help you as much as we can here  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Jim_Rogers

Where abouts in southern NH are you?

I may not live/work far from you and I could come over and show you a few things.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Robert and Sarah Duval to the Forum.

Robert, you were great in "OPEN RANGE". I love westerns!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

KyTreeFarmer

Welcome Duvals!!  Sounds like an interesting undertaking, I know a guy that makes surveying stakes partime for spending money. Did OK with it.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Sarah Duval

Thank you everyone. We bought a band mill from hud-son forestry equipment it's an Oscar 328. Not a big or high tech mill but it does the job for now. We are located in Brookline NH and would be very excited to have anyone from the forum come visit us. WDH I fragged one computer and now I'm labeled for life LOL the wife won't let me near the computer with out her around, Can't blame her though. We are sending our blades out to wood-mizer right now but that may change down the road. Time is thin for us right now because my father and I work full time and run the mill on the side.

Sarah Duval

Oh yeah Sarah said Hi to everyone too.

WDH

Is it Sarah/Robert or Robert/Sarah? ;D.  I can see that you have a split personality  :D. 

Take some pics of the sawmill for us (Robert, if Sarah is the computer guru, she might have to help you with this, but it is not hard to do.  There is a tutorial on how to post pics.)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Sarah and Robert, welcome to the newbie class of 2012!  Lots of knowledge and other "stuff" ::) to be found here on the FF.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Looking at your picture, you are a very nice looking couple and I do not see a "split".   smiley_love    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

Welcome. I think trying to make a living out of cutting grade stakes would be tough. We cut some for one company, haven't really had much demand beyond that. The stakes they pound in through small square bales or erosion netting is different. There is a lot of those used. Only problem is, you will have to find a way to put a point on them.

Trailer decking is something else. If you can cut to width and thickness, along with some length, thats a good business to get into. Sideboards, outriggers, a whole lot of products that construction companies use. i will suggest this though. When someone calls, ask questions. When they say the want 2 inch, about 70 percent of the time they really want 1 1/2 inch thick. Ask where the break points are on a longer bed trailer if they have to splice. If they start asking for a whole bunch of odd sizes, just ask them what size of space they have to fill in.A lot of times over the years boards have been cobbled together as boards broke, and its easier and better just to cut to fill the space. Its also necessary as a general rule to have logs on hand to cut. Construction companies generally have no patience. On the plus side, they rarely are concerned about the price. You can charge good money.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

My cousin cuts a lot of grade sakes up in Maine. He does a lot of other things too. Don't limit yourself to only one or two things-- start with one or two things and find other markets too. You can make a full-time endeavor out of milling, over time, if you work at it. It doesn't happen over night.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

r.man

Welcome to the forum Duvals. How are you putting the points on your stakes?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Sarah Duval

We plan to expand into other things as we progress, the biggest thing right now is to learn how to cut the products correctly. As a heavy diesel tech I have done alot of trailer work so I am some what familiar with what is needed to do trailers but I want to make sure I'm cutting the lumber correctly. We keep a good 5 to 10 cords worth of logs on hand, my father works for a property management company so we get a decent amount of lumber there. That is also how we have gained so many contacts in the construction and landscaping fields. I figure it will be at least 3 years before we can even think about doing this full time for a living right now we all work full time so every dime we make from the mill is going right back into the business. Right now we are pointing are grade stakes on a small unit we bought from the dealer we bought the mill from. We got a package deal, mill with an extra section of track, 5 extra blades for it, the pointer with an extra set of blades and an extended warranty. That whole thing cost us 5600 and it was all new. Last month I built another section of track so now we can cut out to 21'6'' is there much call for cutting anything longer than that? Well thanks again for the info and Sarah says thank you for the compliment on the picture.

Thank You Sponsors!