iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Job Finished Up This Week

Started by CX3, February 14, 2010, 10:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

These are some walnut logs we cut this week.  I hope I can get this pic on here. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

CX3

Alright it worked.  I will try and get a lot of pics on here of how I do things if you would like to see them. 

We cut almost 12000 feet off this job, with about 800 feet going low grade veneer.  There were 81 trees total and the landowner wanted all walnut cut 12" or bigger. 
You Better Believe It!

forest.c

what are they worth we dont have walnut here they look like nice logs.
forest.c

CX3

We generally average 1.20 pbf, but this job was a little low of that.  There were several small trees of low quality.
You Better Believe It!

pigman

CX3, that picture could be a record for the forum. Not the logs , the size of the picture file at over a half a meg bytes. You need to read here to post more pictures. I am sure you didn't know how it is done here. :)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,23851.0.html
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

Might see some good walnut figure in some of those crotches where the big limbs were sawn off.

Are they laid out like that for a buyer to come through and make selections for sawlogs or veneer, and/or offering a price?

Like pigman says, your pic won't stay up long. But not a big deal to set yourself up a gallery and put your pics in there for moving to your posts here.  :)  Look forward to seeing them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CX3

Sorry I didnt read the rules on posting a pic.  I think it is resized if not let me know. 

On the walnut we lay them out for a buyer.  He walks through and makes selections on how he wants them bucked up and then they also haul the logs for me. 

Beenthere, I am unsure of what you mean by figure?
You Better Believe It!

ridge logger

Who is your buyer. Mine a sawmill out of Oldfield,they have always treated me fair and they pickup all my oak and walnut.

Don K

He is talking about the swirls and other unique patterns in the grain of crotches and limb unions that we all prize highly in good hardwoods. If you ever see something made into furniture you would never sell another walnut log. There are many pics scattered throughout the gallery.

This is a example of figure.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

CX3

Well I had a good idea that is what "figure" was .  It sure is pretty.  I would much rather have something made from that as I would veneer. 

Ridge Logger, I generally sell to Missouri Walnut.  Checks always good.  I am sure you are talking about Jim and Kevin in Oldfield?  I have not personally dealt with them. 

Also does anyone have any experience digging up the walnut stumps for making rifle stocks and such?
You Better Believe It!

Kansas

Is Missouri Walnut now taking logs down to 12"? For a time around here, you couldn't find a buyer for anything under about 15".

CX3

Yes they will take 12" inside the bark.  They have to be straight, and fairly slick. 
You Better Believe It!

ridge logger

CX,I don't know about the stumps but the the guys in  oldfield have a market for the crouches and knarly pieces
Quote from: CX3 on February 16, 2010, 07:50:48 AM
Well I had a good idea that is what "figure" was .  It sure is pretty.  I would much rather have something made from that as I would veneer. 

Ridge Logger, I generally sell to Missouri Walnut.  Checks always good.  I am sure you are talking about Jim and Kevin in Oldfield?  I have not personally dealt with them. 

Also does anyone have any experience digging up the walnut stumps for making rifle stocks and such?

missouri_logger

i dont know of anyone who has a market for the stumps there used to be a guy in branson who made some stuff outa them but its been so long i dont know if he does anymore ill find out for ya they look like decent walnut logs

Magicman

Quote from: CX3 on February 16, 2010, 07:50:48 AMAlso does anyone have any experience digging up the walnut stumps for making rifle stocks and such? 

I've sawed walnut stumps by the hour plus blades for customers.  He said that he had a market for the slabs, but I wondered.

Big old "rooty" stumps are no fun to load and handle.  I've even hit nails in a stump.  I later found out that it had come from a creek bank, and probably had a posted sign nailed to it.  I'd rather saw logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!