iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

loader

Started by mac, May 30, 2005, 12:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

What are you all using to load your logs on your mill. I have a small farm tractor with forks on the back.  Need something with a little more lift.

J_T

4x4 tractor with front loader or home built forklift will lift 6,000 lbs 15ft.
Jim Holloway

Timo

My Current loader is a peavy, jackall, and my two arms :D :D

I *wish* I had a bobcat. Heck, I wish I had anything that could lift or push logs around!

I have been working with a bobcat lots recently doing site developement - I can definitely see the advantages over a tractor (dedicated, high capacity hydrolics, tight turning radius, fast and compact for the size).  I think the big question is what else do you need to do with the machine?
small acreage, farm? = tractor
also log/ clear?  = grapple, skidder, or forwarder with crane
Urban tree work? = Hiab or crane on flat deck/ maybe even a self loader
stationary mill/ log inventory? bobcat or dedicated loader/ rough terrain fork lift.

Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

mac

J-T how about some pictures of your home built fork lift

Buzz-sawyer

Ya got that right ....let see the good stuff.....and tha tmill 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Frank_Pender

I am using a new JX75 Case/International with a Quicke loader system ( forks and bucket; each detatchable).

In the works: am rebuilding a grapple log loader to set on a small low level two axel trailer with a telescoping tongue (log trailer reach) like the big boys have.  It will be able to pick up at least 10 grand in weight. 8)
Frank Pender

Gilman

10 Grand, That will be perfect Frank.  Just enough umph to come move that planer for me!
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Bibbyman

Terex.

Here is a link to a web page on our web site about or Terex TX51-19 loader. 

Terex loader
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Frank_Pender

In your dreams David? :D
Frank Pender

mometal77

I went to alaska in 96' old man had a military 6x6 . A steel frame on the back.  And steel pipes with a winch fixed to move logs around for the front. Looked oblong but i saw it lift anything a normal small loader could lift and its in expensive to make.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

twostroke_blood

My Little OC3 Works well for me   

J_T

Mac am waiting for Buzz to show  up  ???Gave my camra to my son  ::) If it can't be done with a smoke wrench or welder I an't to good at it :D :D My wife says I had rather build things than use them :D :D
Jim Holloway

MULE_MAN

I use a Case 580 Backhoe with forks on the bucket , It works real well
and will just play with the big logs that the average Farm tractor. has to
strain to lift.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

summerjob

90XT case Skidsteer.  Once you own a skidsteer you will wonder how you got along without one.  I have a tractor with a loader which I use to skid logs and load on trailer.  Nothing beats the visibility and manueverability of a skid steer to load logs on the mill.  When I am sawing in the building it takes less room to load with skidsteer.  I just replaced the 1845C, it was not big enough.  Bigger is better if it is cost efficient for you.  I would never use skidsteer for bringing logs out of the woods, but a skidsteer is versatile and will rack up many hours doing jobs away from the mill.

oakiemac

I use a Bobcat 873 with rear weights. I love it because of the maunuverability and the lifting capacity. It always amazes people with what I can pick up with that machine.

Summerjob-why not use it to remove logs from the woods? I do it all the time. I skid them out or if enough room I simply lift them out.  A cable skidder would do a better job or a small dozer but for one man operation with funds only for one machine, the skid loader works well.

Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

summerjob

I guess I have been spoiled by having a decent sized tractor that I can use in rough terrain and in many cases I just hook to the whole tree and drag out to a landing.  When muddy I use a running gear to get logs out of the woods.  If not rough and short logs I could see carrying them out.  I like to have the tractor (I wish it was a 4x4) in the woods and to load with and the skidsteer to unload and place logs on the mill. 

oakiemac

Actually the Bobcat is not the perfect tool for skidding logs out of woods. The clearance is too low. I get hung up on stumps from time to time. It is all I have right now so I guess it will have to work.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

shopteacher

I love my JD 8875. Can't say enough good things about it. It's like a second or third hand around the place.  I'm looking for a set of rubber tracks for it and when I find them I will really be smiling. ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

KDEC19

I run a ford tn-75 with forks or an iron and oak grapple.  stronger than the new holland ls180 we had.  Also the tractor reaches out more.  We have a farmi 601 mounted on back for skidding logs.
gonna do it again......

TeaW

Mac if you just want a loader for around the mill probably a skidsteer is going to suit. I am not a big fan of skidstteers, everyone that has one loves them. They are great in small areas you can see what the forks/bucket are doing .
I prefer a 4x4 tractor
- they don't chew a landing up as bad
-easier to get on and off of
-they have a road gear so you don't have to load so often
- they will pull a forwarding tailer or what ever
A friend of mine uses a skidsteer on a landing sorting logs everyday he loves it but he told me when he started using it his shoulers where black and blue for months. they are a rough ride.
TeaW

Bibbyman

I'm with you TeaW.  Skidsteers are versatile machines and are very maneuverable but I've not warmed up to one. 

A sawmill friend south of us had one and loved it.  We bought about 5mbf of logs from him and went to pick them up,  he loaded us out with it. After he was done,  the dirt log yard looked like a miniature "bad-lands" – all torn up.  Looked like he was on his back wheels or front wheels as much as all four.  He looked like he was riding inside a mechanical bull.

At a machinery show I actually climbed into one, got nested in, then climbed right back out.  That  was enough climbing in and out for me.

A 4x4 farm tractor, while better then a 2x4,  is still marginal for log handling.   They are too light and too high centered.  The loaders made for them are not heavy enough for constant logyard use.  The hydraulics are also too slow – at least on the older models.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

J_T

Yep I'm with you Bibbyman it can be a real show  :D :D I have trip bunks on my truck and up close I have loaded 400bf logs not the best idia i'm shure but it is what I had to work with . A pto pump will make it as fast as most people can react course i'm slow ::) Neighbor farms and has a mill too and uses a larger 4x4 tractor with loader and it will do anything a bend in the center job will also has cab and air but if I had that kind of cash I would retire 8)
Jim Holloway

Robert_in_W._Mi.

I guess not everyone loves there skidsteer.  I bought one and sent it  back after 6 weeks, i just hated the way it got stuck so easily, so i bought tracks for it!!  It then tore up around the mill  worse than my dozer does, and wouldn't pick up all that much.  Also as was said, what a pain getting in and out of it.  A skid steer is much too specialized of a machine for my place.

Anyway, i bought a new farm tractor with MFWD and added an ALO loader with quick attach bucket, pallet forks & grabble.  I also use it for skidding and a million other jobs that a skid steer just couldn't do, includeing moveing my dozer to close job sites.

My loader will pick up 3,650 pounds, it takes a big skid steer to pick that much!

Robert

My Loader Tractor
http://www.fototime.com/{7ED82AC0-60A4-4495-A5F3-FAEBD989033A}/picture.JPG

AtLast

John Deere 260 2speed.....quite sufficent

dail_h

" SPUD" 3500lb Clarke forklift of indeterminate age,no brakes,2 wheel drive,but works fantastick for me. Most of the time when I move the mill to a customers site,I bring Spud along if I'm going to be there more than a day or so
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!