iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Satsuma Time

Started by Magicman, November 04, 2015, 04:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Unlike Tangerines, whose very name implies tanginesst/tartness, Louisiana Satsumas are totally and unbelievably sweet.  Also the slices are loose from the peel making them a joy to peel and eat.

They are in season now.   food6

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

First time I've heard of these.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

21incher

Never heard of them before. I thought you were talking about the Japanese pottery that my wife collects. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Satsuma Orange  Notice the last sentence in the first paragraph;  "In the United States, it is grown mostly in the southernmost parishes of Louisiana."
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

First I have heard of satsumas although my wife says she has tried them. According to her they are much like a Mandarin.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

69bronco

Those sound delicous! Never seen them before, do you find them at a grocery or have you got a connection?

Dave Shepard

They look like clementines.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

You will mostly find them at fruit stands/vegetable markets and from folks that make the trip and haul back a load and sell them roadside.  (that is where mine came from)   :)

I have eaten the above mentioned similarities and they are just that, similarities.  Not Satsumas.   :)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I would disagree about the sweetness and juiciness.  Ripe Satsumas are the sweetest and juiciest of all. 

Now, if it is not ripe, then there is some tart, and if it is old, then not as juicy.

DanG

Lots of folks have satsuma trees around here.  We just pick them right off the tree.  Back before they developed all of these new varieties of trees, satsuma was the only citrus that could be grown this far north.  Now we can grow oranges, lemons and grapefruit, so the satsuma has about faded into obscurity.  It has begun to make a little comeback lately, with a few small commercial groves here in N. Florida.  :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

As a former citrus tree farmer [ I had 14 trees ;D) it depends on who, where and how they are grown how sweet they get. Before the citrus greening destroyed our trees there were plenty around here. We called them Christmas oranges. They are a type of manderin with chineses origns.
I sent a box the Jeff a few years ago.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Satsuma time is here.  The local fruit stands/markets as well as the "roadside sellers" have bags of Satsumas and they are exceptionally sweet this year.  A most enjoyable seasonal treat!!  

Thank You South Louisiana.  food6

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!