iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Trees

Started by Tom, September 14, 2001, 08:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I love Pine Trees.  When I surt the Web that is one of the things I look for and here is a link that someone spent a lot of time on.  

This explains, pretty simply, eight species of pines and  you will find it quite interesting, I'm sure
http://www2.ncsu.edu:8010/unity/lockers/project/dendrology/

Don P

A nice looking links page as well. Know where I'm going tonite.

Don P

I was talking to another log home guy, in Estonia, and asked what type of wood he used. He replied pinus sylvestris. I searched Tom's link and found old world pine, our only one of this family is red pine which looked like the pic he sent me (BTW he sent a pic of a jonsered band mill) . I looked in a few more sites and  they kept calling it scots pine. I know a scotch pine that is a small, kinda scruffy tree, usually used for christmas trees although his are pretty large timber trees. Are they the same thing? What do you all know about their woods?

Ron Wenrich

Scotch pine is a major pine type in parts of Europe.  I'm pretty sure pinus sylvestris is the right Latin name.

There was a big push on them back during the CCC days.  But, most of them grew crooked and never developed as well as the native pines.  The hope was to have Scotch pine grow as good as it did in Europe.  It didn.'t but makes a good Christmas tree.

I haven't seen any sawtimber trees in quite some time, and I have never sawn one.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

There are at least 8 species of Scotch pine. Most grow crooked, deformed etc. Though we have some of sawtimber size and quality, it is very little depending upon the site.

Most was planted during the CCC days for erosion control on the "lands that nobody wanted" which are now much of the National Forest system lands here in the east.

Scotch pine is most popular as a commercial Christmas tree, but also needs to be grown and maintained as such. If left to grow wild, it is even difficult to sell as fuel chips.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!