iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms 880 bar size

Started by Busysawyer, April 12, 2018, 09:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Busybeaver, that sounds like best service I ever heard of.
You must be in a small town  🙂
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Busysawyer

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 17, 2018, 10:28:20 PM
Busybeaver, that sounds like best service I ever heard of.
You must be in a small town  🙂
I live in what was a small town 15 years ago but has been growing very rapidly.  We are on the outskirts of west mi largest city, grand rapids. The dealer is a John Deere dealer and is the closest Deere dealer to me. I have got parts for my little tractor from them in the past. They are a pretty good sized outfit with 3 locations on this side of the state.  They said they deal in quantity and have a few of the largest tree companies around going through them . That is why they can give good pricing. He said he sold 25 201s to one company alone this year.  To them I'm a nobody home owner and they still treated me like I was their most valuable customer. The bobcat dealer right up the road had been really good to me as well
 Besides those two places i get the standard crap service that is common these days.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

olcowhand

Busybeaver,
That's a great story about that Stihl Dealer. My work place is in GR, and my buddy often tells me I should stop in to the Dealer you speak of.
I've given up on my local Stihl dealer, and bought my most recent saw (an MS 261 CM much discussed in one of Willard's threads...) at a JD Dealer a little farther away.
They were very easy to work with (price- wise, too), and I'll be going back there for all my Stihl needs.
I have no input on your original topic, as my largest saw is an MS 461. I run a 20" on that and it's a beast. I don't think I'll ever need a bigger saw for my limited use. Good Luck on finding the right combo.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Ed

I have a 24" bar for my 084......the saw doesn't know it's there.

Ed

Al_Smith

I've got only a 42" on my 084 which doesn't see much action nor do any of my other 100 cc and over saws .These things were built for big wood and I see no sense in wrestling around an 25-30  pound saw to cut 18-24" stuff .Most actually 18" and under .

ZeroJunk

Yeah, there are lighter saws that will pull a 24 at the same RPM as the MS880 but would bog with a 42.

Al_Smith

More on this when it comes to saw size .While it can be a hoot to run a big cubic inch saw it can wear you out .I don't care how old or young you are .Providing you have as I do a choice of saws as per the job you can get a lot more done by picking the saw for the job .
I have at least two years of work ahead of me just to clean up the wind fallen  dead ash trees ,some only 8" in diameter .I'm not even going to go as large as 70 cc's on those things when a 50 cc saw will do just as well .Certainly not a 123 cc McCulloch SP 125 or a 99 cc 2100 Husqvarna .That would be like shooting rats with a 30:06 .

Ed

What Al said...

The fun factor goes away real quick when running a 125cc saw.

Ed

beauj5

I had to go to the top to find your original question, to which I can only say that the shortest bar I have that fits my 880 is a 36" and that bar a bit small for that saw size, but, it flies through the wood for certain. I have a hopped up 395 and it is truly a monster.  Loud and aggressive and a bit lighter than the 880.  Did I mention that it was loud and aggressive?  Aggressive is probably and understatement.  It's probably the equivalent of going from the stock camero to the supercharged Corvette...  it's louder, lighter, and higher revving than the 880, but for cutting big wood constantly, the 880 is easier and more efficient to use.
When the road forked, I went straight.

T540xp, 562xp, 034 super mag, 044, 460, 576, 056 super mag, ms460, 066, ms880, 090.

burdman_22

old thread....same question. Can someone please send me a link for a 32 inch bar that will fit an MS880? I would rather have a 32, but can only seem to find a 36.

Skeans1

@burdman_22 
Look up Cannon Bar Works they make 32's for that saw.

Al_Smith

If I didn't mention it previously the 42" bar on my 084 is a milled out bar slot from an 066 size .It 's a west coaster because a 42" would never get used on an 066 in these parts .Saying that for those capable of thinking outside  of the box you should be about to adapt shorter bars like maybe a 20" for an 880  but it's way over kill . Again like shooting rats with a 30:06 .

Walnut Beast

Quote from: burdman_22 on July 09, 2022, 05:59:13 PM
old thread....same question. Can someone please send me a link for a 32 inch bar that will fit an MS880? I would rather have a 32, but can only seem to find a 36.
Did you get a 32 ?

burdman_22

Nealm66

I tried running a 32" bar on an 084 when we were still cutting old growth back in the late 80's early 90's before the spotted owl in a unit of whitefir about 32-36" dbh thinking I would make a killing but it actually bushelled out a little less than the modified 056. Used way more fuel as well. I ran both the 066 and the 395's and really liked the balance and the smoothness of the 395's but they bushel about the same. I have a 36" bar on my 880 now and wished I would have gotten a 42. 

beenthere

Hmmm??  What does "bushel" mean?   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nealm66

Probably spelling it wrong. Just a term for being paid by the board feet you cut. You just write the length and diameter inside your hard hat and scale it out at the end of each day. I believe it's where the term pencil whipped came from. Guys will make logs up with their pencil. Here's my 880 with a 36 at my last job 

Nealm66

I'm finding more and more on these residential jobs the folks want to keep they're nut brush and vine maples and about impossible to get on both sides so I fall with a longer bar when needed and limb and buck with a 28" on a smaller saw like the 500 or 372. Also saves a little bit of chain when a guy's limbing that 4th side that's been in the dirt. 

Thank You Sponsors!