iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A really long trip.

Started by redprospector, October 02, 2013, 11:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Quote from: wwsjr on October 23, 2013, 09:43:31 AM
Looking good Andy. Much easier to handle in with outriggers separated. Maybe we should have done that before we loaded on your trailer, might have been easier. Have you decided how you are going to power the hydraulic pump?

Willie

Thanks Willie.
I figured out that what we should have done was unhook the trailer, then let the jacks all the way down before attempting to load it. It was very easy to handle when you don't have to put it on the second floor.  :D Funny how hindsight is so good.
I picked up a pump that should push about 8 gpm at 2000 rpm. I'm going to mount it to an old 18 horse Honda I have. I'm having a hard time finding a pump mount that will work, so I'm building that tomorrow. It's all going to sit between the 10" I beams of the neck.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Ok, here's today's progress.

I'll loose a little reach because of the height, but I think where it set's makes it a good trade off.

Well, that's today's progress. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

wwsjr

We built the mount I used on my trailer. Used a 6gpm with lovejoy coupling and 14.5 Briggs off an old lawn mower. Only problem was the rubber in the coupling did not last long, always kept spares. You should be pleased with the 8gpm and 18 hp. Looks good the way you mounted without giving up trailer space. You could weld a shop stool on gooseneck to sit on to get a good view while operating.  :D
Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

customsawyer

That is a good looking set up.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

redprospector

Quote from: wwsjr on October 24, 2013, 01:41:04 AM
We built the mount I used on my trailer. Used a 6gpm with lovejoy coupling and 14.5 Briggs off an old lawn mower. Only problem was the rubber in the coupling did not last long, always kept spares. You should be pleased with the 8gpm and 18 hp. Looks good the way you mounted without giving up trailer space. You could weld a shop stool on gooseneck to sit on to get a good view while operating.  :D
Willie
Yeah, the Lovejoy couplers are good but if you're off by more than a couple degree on any axis they will eat the rubber spider up pretty quick. It's always a good idea to carry a couple of spares in the glove box anyway. I'm hoping I got this one close enough.
I was thinking about mounting my easy chair on the neck, good view when loading, good place to take a nap when not loading. Ella didn't think it was as good an idea as I did.  :D

There was a lot of other things going on today (other than what I had planned). But I did manage to get the pump mount built and ready for (what I hope to be) final installation tomorrow.

Test fit. Everything seems to line up right.

Painted, and ready to install tomorrow.

Andy

redprospector

redprospector

Ok, I'm hoping tomorrow's the day she comes to life. I had to go off the mountain to get a battery, fuel line, and a few hydraulic fittings this afternoon. This is what it looked like when I left.

A view from the operator's station.

Hmm. Don't know what I did, but the last picture didn't turn out as expected.

Andy

redprospector

I've got to make another attempt at the last picture.

It came to life this evening, but it was too dark to take a video. It'll have to wait until one day soon when I go get a load.
I've got a few hydraulic leaks to fix, and I need to tune up the old engine, but other than that she works.  8)

Andy

Well, that picture didn't work the way I expected either.

redprospector

I hauled 3 loads of mixed firewood/saw logs off the mountain today. I thought about how this thread ended without proof of success, so I took a picture of one of the loads.
It works like it should. The controls are different from my other loader, so every time I use either one of them it's a learning experience now.  :D
I think I'm going to put one more brace at the top of the gooseneck. Sometimes I get a little rambunctious, and the extension gives it a lot more leverage on the attachment points than the original design.

RickV

Red, very nice setup. You sir have some skills. I was in your neck of the woods in Feb and am planning coming back out next Feb, we will have to get together and throw down a couple coffees.

leroy in kansas

RP, that looks really good. I'm wondering how the clearance for the truck bumper when in a sharp turn is. What is the limit for the lift with it extended?
Leroy

wwsjr

Looks good, professional installation job. It was amazing how well this small loader worked for me. The title of the post is very appropriate , the loader was manufactured somewhere in Europe, shipped to my place in MS from Canada, hauled from MS to NM. Not many hours on machine, but lots of miles.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

woodNthings

Sir, I am covered with jealousy! Those dont just come up for sale everyday do they?
Very impressed with the craftsmanship and installation. Glad its been put to good use, just wish I had seen it first ;D
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

thecfarm

That looks like a good idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

That is just an awsome addition to a trailer.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

drobertson

I like it! heck of a good idea,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: woodNthings on May 25, 2014, 08:48:24 AM
Sir, I am covered with jealousy! Those dont just come up for sale everyday do they?

This is a little different boom style but they can be picked up reasonably and they are readly avalible from the importers that bring in the Yanmar and Isseco tractors. I looked at three sizes this being the mid size. Keep in mind they are all metric. It has a two stage boom one hydraulic the other manual. I just shortened the bed and mounted it up with shakle bolts. It will lift the truck off the ground loading too heavy of a log. I have loaded a 44" 12' fresh felled redwood so they have plenty of lift. I highly dought it is as fast as red's but it gets the job done and can be set up on a trailer as well.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

redprospector

Quote from: RickV on May 25, 2014, 08:06:31 AM
Red, very nice setup. You sir have some skills. I was in your neck of the woods in Feb and am planning coming back out next Feb, we will have to get together and throw down a couple coffees.
Thanks. Any time you find yourself in Southern New Mexico let me know, we'll have coffee and maybe a green chili cheese burger or 2.  ;D

Quote from: leroy in kansas on May 25, 2014, 08:32:32 AM
RP, that looks really good. I'm wondering how the clearance for the truck bumper when in a sharp turn is. What is the limit for the lift with it extended?
Leroy
I can't remember exactly the clearance between the outriggers and the corner of the bumper is, but I have had it jack knifed turning around in some places. This is the 1st pickup I've had in a long time that wasn't a flat bed. The only clearance problems I've had was the top of the tail gate, and the bottom of the gooseneck while going over some waterbars.  :-[
If I remember right, at full extension, the specs I found said 8 or 900 lbs., up close 2000 lbs. but I think it will do a little more than that.

Quote from: wwsjr on May 25, 2014, 08:42:41 AM
Looks good, professional installation job. It was amazing how well this small loader worked for me. The title of the post is very appropriate , the loader was manufactured somewhere in Europe, shipped to my place in MS from Canada, hauled from MS to NM. Not many hours on machine, but lots of miles.

Willie
Thanks Willie, I'm going to try to fix that part about "Not many hours".  ;)

Quote from: woodNthings on May 25, 2014, 08:48:24 AM
Very impressed with the craftsmanship and installation. Glad its been put to good use, just wish I had seen it first ;D
This style with the knuckle boom, and grapple don't surface very often, but don't be jealous, just keep looking. One will pop up when you least expect it.
When Willie posted this one, I thought about it for about 2 minutes, made sure I could cover the check, and got ahold of Willie. I'm glad I saw it first.  ;D

Like I said earlier, I didn't want this thread to end without at least a picture of a load on the trailer. If I ever have someone around to shoot a short video while it's running I'll probably make 1 more addition to this thread.

redprospector

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on May 25, 2014, 01:02:10 PM

This is a little different boom style but they can be picked up reasonably and they are readly avalible from the importers that bring in the Yanmar and Isseco tractors. I looked at three sizes this being the mid size. Keep in mind they are all metric. It has a two stage boom one hydraulic the other manual. I just shortened the bed and mounted it up with shakle bolts. It will lift the truck off the ground loading too heavy of a log. I have loaded a 44" 12' fresh felled redwood so they have plenty of lift. I highly dought it is as fast as red's but it gets the job done and can be set up on a trailer as well.
That's a nice rig, and I'll bet it will lift a heck of a load. I have to put the bigger logs on one end at a time.

Bradbilt

Following for ideas to build mine

Magicman

This topic is 7 years old.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!