iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A 4wd tractor w/ front end loader/fork and agile as a skid steer!

Started by woodbowl, August 16, 2005, 05:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namowin

Wow, sorry I'm so new, that seems like a big load of lumber on a pallet. Is that a standard pallet of lumber or is there kind of a standard BF per pallet to stack?
Manitoba prairie man

Thomasjw4

I have run one of these years ago... wish i could find one...
Link removed by admin

Mike W

Just bought a new JCB 3TS-8W, won't take delivery until end of February.  This unit will subsidize the old 2003 Bobcat S185 that has way too many hours to shamely list.  We went with this unit for several reasons over another bobcat.  Side door entry (no more crawling over bucket or attachments, I'm getting older)  Extended reach (teleboom) so we can load higher and reach out a bit further, lift capacity at 3,200lbs ( a little better then the ole S185).  

Went with the 8W (wheeled) over the 8T (rubber tracked) because, well one, we have steel tracks on the S185 we are going to move over to this unit, like the added ballist of the tracks, they work way better on snow and mud over the rubber tracks (around this region anyway), pretty easy on and off if needed, and the unit is about 2,000 lbs lighter, think its going to be a great addition to the yard and jobsites, now just the wait..... ::)

8) 8)

btulloh

I stack lighter pallets to match the capacity of my FEL. You either have to match the load to the machine or buy a machine that matches the load. Many of us get by with what we have because sometimes it's not possible to justify the thing we want. Just part of the game. Some people are just using their atv or utv and use creativity to bridge the gap. Just depends on the scale and output of the operation. 

Start small and figure out where it's gonna take you as your journey progresses. It's all just part of the addiction. 
HM126

Namowin

Great advise and greatly appreciated! That machine above it beautiful, but I think way out of my price range.

I agree with using what you have to make work, especially as a beginner I think I will learn what I need to become more efficient to the things I would like (wish list) lol.  

To me this will be more of an enjoyable thing to do, as I get older and my friend does as well I would like to keep active in the forest and continue to do the work without having it to be to painful as a weekend warrior type thing. I see great value in a tractor not only for skidding but loading moving stacking, all those things that are great but also back braking work over the years. If a tractor can eliminate some of that work so we can enjoy our time there more then it's well worth the investment.
Manitoba prairie man

Mike W

Namowin,

Fully agree, as most others have already mentioned work with what you got, my philosophy is pay as you go for what you need, if you can't, then you really just don't need it and need to figure out doing what needs to be done with what you have.  Been at this for over 30 years, starting my own construction company back in 94, a whole lot of baby steps (well the forward ones were, the backwards ones seem to be more of leaps and bounds), anyway fast forward to today, my 26 year old is really taking over the biz along side his 20 year old brother.  Just finally now getting to where I can obtain such creature comforts such as this.  As the saying goes "I have done so much with so little, I can now do anything with nothing!" or something like that, but alias, age does creep up on you a  bit.

Have lots of fun, grow as you learn, pay as you grow, and it will stay enjoyable, take on too much too quick and it becomes another 9 to 5 on steroids.

Namowin

Very well said Mike and I love the sayings as they make a lot of sense. I've been fortunate enough to buy a few rental properties over the years, I started about age 25 and since then they are all almost paid off 17 years later. So instead of giving mr tax man more revenue ive decided to go down a different ave or direction, and invest in something I enjoy (trust me rental property isn't fun). 

I find people look at me funny when I say I bought a mill, I suppose it's perhaps a lack of knowledge. Others it's more of a lack of interest,"Why would someone actually want to go into the forest and harvest trees". The answer is very simple to me, pure fun and enjoyment. From the atmosphere of usually being alone with nature to enjoying it with close friends that are same minded people. (Friends part not so much right now because we are isolated) but I general. My job is 90% mental 10% physical, so I'm lacking the physical part and forestry most certainly can provide lol  
Manitoba prairie man

btulloh

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm using a 40hp tractor with FEL and pallet forks on the back. I get by pretty well, even though it would be nice to have more and bigger toys. It's just a hobby for me, so production is what it is.

By the way - you need some place to air dry and store the lumber. Even limited production leads to lot of handling, storage, and waste disposal.  Sawing lumber is the easy part. All that stuff will evolve as you go, but it can surprise you as you get started. All part of the fun though. Sawdust addiction leads to an insatiable need for more space and more equipment.
HM126

Andries

Namowin; the never ending quest for the perfect wood moving machine for sawmill work lasts a lifetime. (or as long as you operate a mill)
I found a Ford 545C, which is a yellow construction machine.

The Ford weighs 12,000 lbs. and has a three point hitch and PTO. It'll lift 5000 lbs. and has a 66 hp. Perkins diesel. $15,000 CAD about eight years ago at JV Sales on Route 90 in The 'Peg. You know where that is right?
It's a BackHoe that's lost it's Hoe.  ;D
When you're hunting for a machine, many think that knowing the machine's weight and it's load lifting capacity are far more important than knowing the HP.
For lumber, logs, brush clearing, ripping up concrete pads or demolishing old buildings, it's super - because it's heavy.
Out in the woods, pulling logs or winching over trees, it's got issues. Soft ground and higher stumps or rocks will hang it up - because it's heavy.
Did I mention never ending quest? 

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Namowin

;D Lmao it's lost it's Hoe hahaha, some days I wish the same  :D. Yea I know where your talking about. That machine would be ideal I think. For the most part it will live in the forest/pasture, and will be used for anything heavier then about 1k lbs. which I'm learning will be almost everything lol.

Yes storage, is definitely on my mind, I would like to get the first few months under my belt first then I can hopefully start to understand where I think would be the best place to stack in accordance to wind, where a solar kiln may be to where the offcuts and leftovers will be and oh god what to do with the man glitter.... make a mountain and let my kids make a castle out of it? Lol right now without a bucket I'll be shovelling it into my dump trailer I guess... and either spreading it or taking it to the dump. 

Man a tractor keeps sounding better and better. I'm quite handy and generally mechanically inclined so I'm not shy of older equipment. I'm budgeting at the very max maybe $30k but I would like to spend less if I could get some implements like forks, grapple maybe, post hole digger, box scraper to fix all the roads ect. Roads by the way are dirt, but there is an active gravel pit on part of the land so I can make roads over time if needed. 

I'll just tell the wife it's a big lawn mower lol
Manitoba prairie man

Namowin

I see that you banded that pile of lumber? Is there a special way to do that? I'll thinking in-line with the stickers?
Manitoba prairie man

Walnut Beast

Just bought a new JCB 3TS-8W, won't take delivery until end of February.  This unit will subsidize the old 2003 Bobcat S185 that has way too many hours to shamely list.  We went with this unit for several reasons over another bobcat.  Side door entry (no more crawling over bucket or attachments, I'm getting older)  Extended reach (teleboom) so we can load higher and reach out a bit further, lift capacity at 3,200lbs ( a little better then the ole S185).  

Went with the 8W (wheeled) over the 8T (rubber tracked) because, well one, we have steel tracks on the S185 we are going to move over to this unit, like the added ballist of the tracks, they work way better on snow and mud over the rubber tracks (around this region anyway), pretty easy on and off if needed, and the unit is about 2,000 lbs lighter, think its going to be a great addition to the yard and jobsites, now just the wait..... ::)

8) 8)

Congratulations. I'm sure you will be extremely happy. I haven't been around the machines but from all the information and video I've seen that unit in a tracked version would be at the top of my list. The side entry is incredible. The teleboom they say is very capable and effective. From being around the sawmill standpoint that combo of side entry and teleboom is wicked combo

Andries

I'll band for transport or just to move a pallet full to an air drying place.
It really cheeses me off when a stacked pile of lumber slides off a set of frozen forks onto the ground. Shippers Supply at Century and St Mathews sells all sorts of banding tools and supplies.
By the way, an aspen log, 10' by 20" DBH is about 1500 lbs.
Once you get your new mill set up, logs in that size range are the sweet spot that gives you the most lumber for your labour. As GAB said, and if you can . . . a heavier machine might be wiser.
Associated Auctions has sales on equipment every week - and a good website.

Also,
You have a dump trailer and access to a gravel supply. . . you're golden!
Build a hardened pad and locate your operations on it. Then you can work even when the ground is wet. . . or thawing out.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 18, 2021, 04:06:29 PM

Just bought a new JCB 3TS-8W, won't take delivery until end of February.  This unit will subsidize the old 2003 Bobcat S185 that has way too many hours to shamely list.  We went with this unit for several reasons over another bobcat.  Side door entry (no more crawling over bucket or attachments, I'm getting older)  Extended reach (teleboom) so we can load higher and reach out a bit further, lift capacity at 3,200lbs ( a little better then the ole S185).  

8) 8)

Congratulations. I'm sure you will be extremely happy. I haven't been around the machines but from all the information and video I've seen that unit in a tracked version would be at the top of my list. The side entry is incredible. The teleboom they say is very capable and effective. From being around the sawmill standpoint that combo of side entry and teleboom is wicked combo
Mike W bought this really nice machine. My comment didn't seem to go in a quote

Namowin

Quote from: Andries on January 18, 2021, 04:09:53 PM
I'll band for transport or just to move a pallet full to an air drying place.
It really cheeses me off when a stacked pile of lumber slides off a set of frozen forks onto the ground. Shippers Supply at Century and St Mathews sells all sorts of banding tools and supplies.
By the way, an aspen log, 10' by 20" DBH is about 1500 lbs.
Once you get your new mill set up, logs in that size range are the sweet spot that gives you the most lumber for your labour. As GAB said, and if you can . . . a heavier machine might be wiser.
Associated Auctions has sales on equipment every week - and a good website.

Also,
You have a dump trailer and access to a gravel supply. . . you're golden!
Build a hardened pad and locate your operations on it. Then you can work even when the ground is wet. . . or thawing out.
Thanks I think that's one of the sites I've looking at, there are a few ag auction places in Brandon which is super close also, I'll keep it in mind. Great idea with the packing an area with A base and gravel so I keep working when it's wet out. THe gravel pit usually has some big loaders with about 3 yard bucket, shouldn't take long to spread and pack it around.
So for the banding, it's really only for transport?
Manitoba prairie man

Roundhouse

Quote from: Thomasjw4 on January 18, 2021, 11:30:36 AM
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/auction-results/30487877/1989-new-holland-lb620
Looks like a pretty useful piece of iron but is the forward visibility as bad as it appears to be from the photos?
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Thomasjw4

Quote from: Roundhouse on January 18, 2021, 07:01:57 PM
Quote from: Thomasjw4 on January 18, 2021, 11:30:36 AM
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/auction-results/30487877/1989-new-holland-lb620
Looks like a pretty useful piece of iron but is the forward visibility as bad as it appears to be from the photos?
Its definitely not great, but to me the versatility more than makes up for it

stavebuyer

All equipment has limitations and tradeoffs. Skid steers seem to be the hot item. I had a very nice Cat289D but for all around use I am a 4wd HST tractor man for the following reasons;

360 visibility
ease of on/off
3pt hitch and pto implements are dirt cheap
ground clearance
ground speed
packs the gravel rather than churning it up
can change a battery or oil filter without major dis-assembly

A tractor won't turn as tight or lift as much but you can operate the loader standing beside the machine and that is a bigger deal than it sounds.

If you mill full time you need an articulated loader. If you own a farm you will always need a tractor no matter what other specialized equipment you buy.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: stavebuyer on January 18, 2021, 07:26:31 PM
All equipment has limitations and tradeoffs. Skid steers seem to be the hot item. I had a very nice Cat289D but for all around use I am a 4wd HST tractor man for the following reasons;

360 visibility
ease of on/off
3pt hitch and pto implements are dirt cheap
ground clearance
ground speed
packs the gravel rather than churning it up
can change a battery or oil filter without major dis-assembly

A tractor won't turn as tight or lift as much but you can operate the loader standing beside the machine and that is a bigger deal than it sounds.

If you mill full time you need an articulated loader. If you own a farm you will always need a tractor no matter what other specialized equipment you buy.
Well said from a guy that's had all three

Andries

Quote from: Namowin on January 18, 2021, 06:53:05 PMSo for the banding, it's really only for transport?
Yes.
The banding is short term only. To get a stickered stack, or dead stacked,  pile of lumber from point a to point b.
As the wood dries, it shrinks.
Then the bands are loose, and of no use.
Sure, cheap loading straps from Princess Auto can be tightened, endlessly, but why not use gravity?
When stacking lumber for air drying, open bottomed pallets are a game multiplier.  The top pallet should have a waterproof cover with some overhang to shed rain. As important as that, it should be heavy. Like septic tank lids. Or reject tombstones heavy. Or marble sink cutouts by the dozens heavy!
Here's the equation. All that weight and the waterproof pallet on top allow the wood to dry straight and dry. 
I'm indebted to Jim Rogers and Yellowhammer and Jake Dean, WDH and hundreds of others with these techniques. I'm just a parrot. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Quote from stavebuyer: " . . . but you can operate the loader standing beside the machine and that is a bigger deal than it sounds.  "

. . . and here I was thinking that I was one of the few that did that.
Don't tell OSHA or my wife, okay?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

caveman

I agree with Andries on considering an industrial machine.  I love my Kubota but almost every day I wish it would lift more weight (It's not puny just not a draft horse like Andries' Ford).  One other thing to consider is that you may be able to get a good deal if you don't get in a hurry to buy.

In 2009 when we bought our tractor, I called a couple of the nearby Kubota dealers and asked to speak to their hungriest salesman, gave them my criteria and requested that they let me know when a smoking deal came along.  I got a call within a week and got a good tractor at a decent price.

My criteria was; 50-90 HP, 4wd, power steering, loader, ag tires desired.  What I got was 70 hp, loader with third function, rear wheel weights, loaded rear tires, shuttle shifter, aluminum canopy, and ag tires (R1).

Welcome to the FF, Namowin.
Caveman

Larry

I only go portable for a few folks and they all have skid steers with grapples.  They do an excellent job handling logs, stacking, and picking off trailers.  Most tractors don't have the lift to handle a big log and a heavy grapple.

I think this one is a Bobcat T650.  Nice machine with AC, stereo, good controls, and comfortable.  Handles all normal size logs just fine.  Downfall is lumber.  I stack and sticker off the saw and the machine maxes out around 500 to 600 board foot.  Than when he picks up a stack he can't see where he is going so needs somebody to spot for him.  Can't get out of the machine when loaded.  Hard to see when backing up.

Another guy just bought a new Kubota that is similar and he maxes out around 500 board foot.

During the summer the skid steers churn up the mill site so its a dust bowl.  Winter its mud all over.

I'm a tractor fan for all the reasons stavebuyer stated.  For the heavy lifting I have one of the truck mounted forklifts.  I do wish I had a grapple on something that could pick logs off a trailer with sides.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

The only thing I didn't like about that tractor is it wasn't HST. 

Walnut Beast

I agree totally with Stavebuyer if your going to move lumber and wood around the sawmill all the time the articulated wheel loader is the best. In the states we are skidsteer crazy. Overseas articulated wheel loaders are the most popular 

Thank You Sponsors!