iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steer/loader splitter

Started by Crhall, August 03, 2015, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crhall

Anyone ever run these? How do you like them. After watching my guys wrestle around big hunks of wood to the gas powered splitter we have, then manhandling the chuck after each stroke. I'm looking into a skid loader mount splitter. We have 2 new hollands so I already have a machine, just the investment of the attachment I would get into, Most chunks are 18" diameter or above. the smaller stuff I could still use the small splitter. Now with another farm we have set up for OWB im going to need even more wood. This would all be for our own use, not selling. Just trying to make things easier and more efficient for my guys. From the vids I've seen they work well. And being able to split over top your pile or dump trailer is awesome as we split them pretty large pieces for the outdoor burners. My guys are pretty darn good operators, but if this is too awkward to use, I can see it being a pain as well. What are your thoughts?

LAZERDAN

Nope:  This is the CATs butt.  I would not be without mine.  You will not be disappointed. I don't run the 4way wedge.  would be ok if all your wood is perfect.  Mine is not.                   Lazerdan

NWP

I built one. Works great. I use it to quarter big pieces and then split them on down with the processor. I would recommend one.   Mine just has a single wedge. I think that is probably the way to go versus the 4 way. On the large pieces you'd use that on, it wouldn't quarter it but would just take off the top 3-4"
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Crhall

Thanks for the feed back guys! I hear a lot of people have mixed feelings about this. One comment I always hear is, "why wear your skid loader out on this" Well for one, that why I own loaders, to use, not to sit and look at. for two, Doing this with it is ten times easier on it than the stuff I normally do with it, trust me, These things get ran hard and are used on the farm!

Ivan49

A friend of mine built one several years ago and the wood he gets is all oak most being 24 to 30 dia. He makes short work splitting it after he made it  He cuts all his wood 24 inches long. I agree with you on using your Bobcat to split wood with I am the same way I bought mine to use not to sit and watch me do the work. If it wears out I will get another one

Crhall

Really leaning toward this, just need to figure out what one to get. Price ranges are from $1500-$3500. I found one that had interchangeable wedges, 2way, 4way, etc.. Its kinda nice.

sam-tip

I use the TM splitters for my boiler wood.  Works great for boiler size wood pieces.  Not so good on making fire place wood.   I like the single wedge unless you have perfect wood.  I would highly recommend the viewing window on the TM pro.   I had the warrior series but could not see the wood because of the beam.   He does take trades so ask about a used one.   My first TM was a used splitter.  The 4 and 5 ft diameter logs make lots of wood fast with a skid splitter.

Work smarter with equipment not harder.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Oliver1655

I have seen Sam-tips's TM pro splitter in action & have to agree, the gap between the two channel irons which allow you to see is much handier then having an "I" beam in the way.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

chuck172

I see these splitters are used with skid steers, how bout regular tractors with the ssqa front loader. Any problems with manuverablility?

Raider

I have used one for 4 years. I have one that runs the width of the skid loader. I used one for two years that was like in the picture. there are pro-con with both. I have a 7810 Gehl not a problem with flow or power. I split 30" plus Red Elm (dead no bark). Stoped it twice with a Red Oak three limb crotch 25". But could work it down and got it split. Cylinder is 30" with 5" bore 2 1/2 shaft. Almost bomb proof.  Raider

Windy_Acres

Quotethat why I own loaders, to use, not to sit and look at

If you have money to set on fire, let-r-rip ! Id own one, but beings that Im the head mechanic, and accounts payable on the farm, the CFO in me, will not allow for such. Have you ever paid for, or performed any powertrain related repairs on your loader ? It gets hairy scary fast.

If your making too much money, and buy a new machine every couple years, then I would probably do it. If your cheap, and hold onto your stuff until you ring out every last penny, the math tells me its not a good idea.

Dont know what brand machine you run, but the amortized cost per hour on a loader, just does not warrant log splitting in my camp. I see it as a false economy, even if you think your saving labor.

Id rather burn up a disposable 23hp V-twin kohler with a 22gpm pump on a splitter than to let my machine, more or less idle all those hours.

Keep mind, while your machine is idling, everything but the wheel motors are wearing. Not to mention the fuel consumption / for the amount of work done.

I love using my loader for whatever job possible, but this is the one exception. If I was made of money, then it would be a no brainer.

sam-tip

https://youtu.be/xE00dEr6bPc

This is me splitting some small wood.  I like the really big oaks(100 to 250 years old).  Even this small wood is to big to move by hand.  I uses the skid steer because no one else wants the big wood and big wood is what I can find on CL.  Since I have the equipment I may as well use it to save my back.  Fuel consumption is cheaper than the neighbor kid.  Plus its never late.  Doesn't show up with a hangover and doesn't complain about being tired.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

chuck172

Very impressive Sam-Tip, I have a Kioti DK, and wonder if my tractor would be as maneuverable as your skid-steer. Your very talented with that machine.

Thank You Sponsors!