iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salvage walnut

Started by Larry, May 11, 2024, 10:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

A couple of months ago we had some high winds that uprooted two walnut trees and a sycamore. I didn't really think the walnut was worth the effort as the terrain was steep, with lots of underbrush. Both trees were small and one resembled a snake.

Decided yesterday to get them.

I always worry when cutting a blow down tree off the stump as sometimes the root ball can make unexpected and nasty moves. This time the root ball easily settled right back into the hole and the tree stayed still.

This is the snaky looking one after I pulled it out. The brush was so thick I couldn't get a picture of it where it fell.

To get the tree length logs out I have a 16 ton Garwood winch that I rigged up to run off the tractor pto. Took a lot of cable to reach them and I had to use two detachable snatch blocks to keep the logs from good trees as I pulled them out.

Luck was with me on the snake tree and I was able to get some straight logs.

Hank put on the end sealer. Out of the mess I got six 8' logs, two 6' logs, and a 4' log that will make about 6 bowl turning blanks. As I said the trees were pretty small but I got logs from 12" up to 16" diameter. I figure about 400 board foot. Heavy trim on sapwood will bring that down. Should be worth the effort.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Yes Sir, I would say that your day was very well spent!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fluidpowerpro

With the bends that trunk had it it I assume it was leaning?  Do you expect stress in the wood. Is the pith centered? I am curious to hear how well it saws.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

doc henderson

Larry, did you make the adaptor for Hank's tail to brush coupler on the metal or wood lathe?  ffsmiley

In fact, it looks a little shorter than in prev. pics.  was there an incident?  :huh?  :snowball:  running-doggy taz-smiley  smiley_huh2 smiley_sweat_drop think_not
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on Yesterday at 12:32:40 PMWith the bends that trunk had it it I assume it was leaning?  Do you expect stress in the wood. Is the pith centered? I am curious to hear how well it saws.
I can't remember if either tree were leaners. In the snake tree their was some off center piths but not terrible like one would expect in a heavy leaner. I do expect to see some stress and will make adjustments. As a maker I can use about anything the log gives me, so not really a handicap to saw less than stable logs.

Doc, Hank read your post and says his tail is in fine condition, probably a lot better than your tail! ffcheesy ffcheesy
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

Larry, the guy that can cut down a crookened tree and make straight logs!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Larry,

I had to go get a bibb when I saw those crooks in that log! When I see a serious crook in a log I immediately think benches. The more severe the crook the prettier the benches. Put 2-3 together and make a circle around a fire pit or put them around a big shade tree facing outward. I've made them with so much bend I had to put a 5th leg in the center on the back side to compensate for the out of balance weight.

I hope you still have some curved pieces left.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on Yesterday at 09:12:16 PMWhen I see a serious crook in a log I immediately think benches.

Hells bells, I think I'm going to go looking for a few crooked logs! That looks awesome!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Thank You Sponsors!