iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tap root north??

Started by marty, February 02, 2001, 06:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

A fellow I know told me that all the trees you plant should have the tap root pointed north.
Is this true? I plan to plant a bunch of small trees that my bud is giving me this spring and I want them to get the best start. If you have to why north??         Thanks........marty??????

Ron Wenrich

I've never heard that one before.  Sounds like an old wives tale.

The theory must have something to do with magnetism.  If there was some sort of magnetic tropism in tap roots, they would go that way on their own.

I've also heard that your head is supposed to be heading north when you sleep.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

marty

I've heard of head east before. As of sleeping with your head pointed north my wife says if I snore one more time she will put me under the stars. What a woman.......marty:o:o:o

Ron Scott

I've never heard of that one either unless its a way to remember "strait down". When planting seedlings the tap root and roots must to be placed straight in the hole and compacted. No "u" or "j" roots. The old time CCC planters use to have sayings and ways to remind themselves of this as their plantings were regular inspected by the planting crew foreman. Misplanted trees were pulled out.  
~Ron

Bill Johnson

Is this the same as Green Side Up?
Bill

Forester Frank

Marty:

Maybe the trees are mossy oak, and moss grows on the north side of the tree (not really), and that's how this thing got started.
Forester Frank

Thank You Sponsors!