iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green ash worth the effort?

Started by Raym, May 06, 2016, 05:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

I have access to several large (30") what appears to be green ash, or swamp ash. My question is a, is it indeed green ash and b, what is the market for it.

Based on some of my reading, swamp ash is defined by the weight and not necessarily species. I have read so many opinions my ash is confused!
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

WDH

Only a few ways to separate green ash from white ash.  One is how the bud sits at the base of the leaf petiole.  In white ash, the base of the leaf petiole usually circles the bud.  When viewed from the side. looking at the point where the petiole is attached to the branch, you cannot see the bud sticking up.  In green ash, the bud sits just proud of the base of the leaf petiole, and you can see the top of the bud sticking out from a side view.

The second way is the fruit.  In white ash, the wing of the samara ends at the tip of the seed.  In green ash, the wing of the samara extends about halfway down the side of the seed.

As you can see, the differences are technical and very minor.  Green ash grows everywhere, including the bottomlands.  White ash is more of an upland species. 

Another couple of things.  The leaflets in white ash are not as serrated as those of green ash.  There are fewer serrations in white ash and they extend only about halfway down the leaflet while in green ash they extend all the way down.  However, the problem with this is that I do not always see serrations on these two species, and your sample does not seem to have noticeable serrations on the leaflets  :).  Also, the underside of the leaflets of white ash are glaucous (covered with a whitish, waxy bloom), not so in green ash.

Now, I bet all this is clear as mud  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cutterboy

From Wikipedia:  Green ash wood is similar in properties to white ash wood, and is marketed together as "white ash". The commercial supply is mostly in the South. It is very popular, used in making electric guitars because it can be somewhat lighter than white ash without sacrificing too much in tone. It has a bright sound with long sustain, plus the wood grain is aesthetically desirable to many guitar players. Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Warwick, M2Guitars and many other luthiers use ash in the construction of their guitars

Raym, saw those logs up...should make good lumber.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

paul case

I know there are some good markets for ash logs. I don't know of any local to me  markets that are buying ash lumber. However, I bought some nice 15' ash logs last summer and used the lumber from them to make all my truss material,2x6 and 2x4. Cut what I had left into 2x4 studs for the van garage at my church an 7x9 ties.
I thought and others have told me it was the finest lumber we had built with in a while.
I cant tell you what kind it was but I think it was green ash.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Raym

Ok WDH, based on what you were saying.....green ash?

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

WDH

From what I can see, l would say yes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!