iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunnyHillFarm

I believe it may have been tapped to make walnut syrup.? The pattern looks the same as a maple tree with tap holes.

barbender

I love the character of Bur Oak. That log would make some fine looking slabs👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

SunnyHillFarm

Whoops, did not read and understand the type of tree !! Never heard of tapping oak.

barbender

doc henderson

an oak from down the street cut fresh had the same markings. 

this was a fresh cut but the log has been here for several months.  i plan to split it with the 880, and skip tooth chain end to end.  so it will fit on my mill.  the slabs from the other oak, had some fleck but not impressive.  

looks like some black stain in the grain, I will have to see if they line up.  epicloic?  branches are common in Elm.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

I always get it confused with epiploic appendagitis.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Quote from: SunnyHillFarm on April 22, 2021, 10:25:32 PMI believe it may have been tapped to make walnut syrup.?

Very possible - of course there would have been a surprise with that, eventually.  I do have a friend who toured my wife and I all around his farm and showed me the maples he was going to tap for sugar, first time I had been to his place.  Somewhere along the tour he asks me why I have a funny look on my face, I explained to him that all the trees he was going to tap for maple syrup were going to give him gum syrup.  :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Skeans1

@doc henderson 
Out of curiosity why full skip? Are you running 3/8 or 404?

BargeMonkey

Southside

Barge - now that you have had it for a bit what do you think of that Pro Pac?  Worth buying?  Should have waited longer?  Not worth getting at all?  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

404.  I have never felt like the 880 pulled well so I got this for ripping and or crosscutting large diameter logs.  It pulled well with this chain.  maybe the saw is getting broke in,  but i still feel it lacks something.  first time I used this chain.  It was a PITA to put it on.  I have thought about trying a bit of tuning on the saw, but I do not want to lean it out much.  any thoughts.  

doc henderson

I even started a thread about it being a dog.  It is getting better, or my expectations have gone down.  

big cottonwood. when I first got the saw.  @Skeans1 

barbender

Gosh that other log it looks like metal stains

Walnut Beast

Quote from: doc henderson on April 22, 2021, 10:53:03 PM
404.  I have never felt like the 880 pulled well so I got this for ripping and or crosscutting large diameter logs.  It pulled well with this chain.  maybe the saw is getting broke in,  but i still feel it lacks something.  first time I used this chain.  It was a PITA to put it on.  I have thought about trying a bit of tuning on the saw, but I do not want to lean it out much.  any thoughts.  
I've heard that on some reviews of the saw. What length of bar are you running on yours

Southside

Nice PPE there Doc - good thing you know how to sew things up.   ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

normally a 36 inch, but put this (60 inch) on to trim fresh ends and try the skip chain, and get ready to rip down the center of the 4 foot log.  

doc henderson

I was waiting for someone to say something.  yes it was a quick test, but that is often when stuff happens.  that is a long chain if it had flung off. I have sewn my knee up 25 years ago, cut on some roof flashing. 

Tom the Sawyer

The photos in #7504 certainly appear to be pin oak.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Southside on April 22, 2021, 10:52:30 PM
Barge - now that you have had it for a bit what do you think of that Pro Pac?  Worth buying?  Should have waited longer?  Not worth getting at all?  :D
@Southside -  Honestly.... I want to go back in time and punch myself in the mouth for not going mechanical yrs ago. 🤷‍♂️ 

Just a nasty machine in pretty rough hardwood. 

Major_in_MS

GullyBog

I think Doc's oak trees have pruned branches.  It really looks that way on the milled board of pin oak.  Seems odd to have a double ring like on the burr oak but maybe the branches grew back and they had to be pruned off again.  
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

thecfarm

Major, welcome to the forum.
That LT15 you have on order, you will like much better for sawing.  ;D
What's the lumber going to be used for?
Get yourself a Logrite cantdog or peavey, sponsor on the left and you will be all set.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Clark

The very obvious and repetitive stains on the butt end of the oak log are from an injection. You said these were likely yard trees so my guess is they had the tree injected for some reason...oak wilt, anthracnose, etc. 

It's the same process and equipment they use for staving off Dutch elm disease. You can see pictures of the equipment being used on this page:

https://blogs.k-state.edu/turf/dutch-elm-disease/

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!