iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planer blade adj?

Started by ely, April 27, 2012, 10:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

on my grizzely 15 inch planer, the book shows it has springs under the blades, and mine does. mine also has two allen head screws under each blade to set the hieght of the blade im guessing. the book does not show these screws. my question is should the screws be adjusted up to support the blade or not? thanks for your opinions.

pineywoods

ely, I'd say press the blade down against the screw, otherwise it will be nite mare trying to set the blade height the same on all the blades. My woodmaster has the allen head flat top screws, no springs.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ely

well i have a set of those fancy magnetic blade jigs with the micrometer on top. so getting them the same is not too much of a pain. i was more into thinking i needed the screws for support so the gibs didnt rattle loose or something.

Cedarman

On an old planer I had, I lost a couple springs.  The ones in ink pens work well enough.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ely

i got them installed and they work great, its amazing how smooth it runs with new blades.

Thank You Sponsors!