iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions for a Linn Sawmill build

Started by foamnone, January 09, 2019, 10:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Quote from: Crusarius on January 20, 2019, 09:09:07 AM
using 12 volt wheelchair motor. when I first set it up it worked better than it does now. I made the mistake of lubing the rods. now I can't seem to get them clean. plus the sawframe being so unbalanced does not help. I have plans to fix all of that but other things are more important at the moment.

I will probably redesign the entire head to balance the full assembly to make up alot easier.
I switched from cable to acme and aint real impressed either. I just have a hand crank on it but it takes a little more effort than i would like to go up. What did you lube yours with? I try and keep the sawdust out of mine as much as i can. Some of my issues was the saw feame sliders binding. I made a piece with a bearing on the front and back that levels out the saw frame and allows it just go up level now without binding. I havent got a chance to try it out yet.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Crusarius

I used chain lube. Helped while I was building it. at least a tiny bit but after I introduced sawdust it was less beneficial.

I will probably attempt a garage door spring to make it go up easier. down is perfect. If that doesn't work then may go the roller chain and jackshaft route. 

Saw a pretty nifty idea on youtube, someone welded a pair of vice grips to their mast and used that for a lock. Probably won't be necessary but be nice piece of mind.

bwstout

I used the aceme rods and have a wheel chair motor on 24 volts and mine goes up quickly I used chain and sprockets to set the speed.  Have use it for a couple of years now. My mill is a 2 post the motor hangs off the back but still seems to work ok. I used Teflon to line the sliderly things ;D so I have less friction. But I think if I were to do it again I would go to the chain and gear box.
home built mill

Crusarius

bwstout, by chain and gearbox you mean for lifting right? My wheelchair motor has a gearbox on it and I put s sprocket straight on that.

I am guessing you mean jackshaft and chain for lifting?

bwstout

home built mill

Thank You Sponsors!