iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member, New Saw

Started by 1Zach1, October 30, 2013, 06:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Zach1

Just got home with this. Stihl MS 261 C-M with 18" bar. This isn't my first saw, but is the first saw I've ever had to special order and never fondled by the masses. Obviously haven't had a chance to get her going and into some wood, but hopefully that will be this weekend. Enough talk, pictures!

Pics removed by admin-must be in gallery

thecfarm

1Zach1,welcome to the forum. Other saw died?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Another welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Saw looks nice and makes a nice center piece for dinner tonight..  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodpulp

Beautiful.  Bought a 261 about a year ago myself.  Looks like a newly designed Stihl scabbard on it.  My 261 with an 18" bar has the shorty scabbard on it, but I'd like a full length version.  Is that scabbard made for 18" bars - can't see the full bar in your pic's.  Thanks
Chris

Stihl 012AVQ, MS261; Husky 555; Kubota BX25, Airens 27-ton splitter.

1Zach1

Quote from: thecfarm on October 30, 2013, 06:41:43 PM
1Zach1,welcome to the forum. Other saw died?

Are you wearing a wire for my wife? Then yes, yes it died......

Quote from: beenthere on October 30, 2013, 06:42:33 PM
Another welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Saw looks nice and makes a nice center piece for dinner tonight..  ;D

Thanks you the welcome. Yeah, that went over well....

Quote from: Woodpulp on October 30, 2013, 06:53:07 PM
Beautiful.  Bought a 261 about a year ago myself.  Looks like a newly designed Stihl scabbard on it.  My 261 with an 18" bar has the shorty scabbard on it, but I'd like a full length version.  Is that scabbard made for 18" bars - can't see the full bar in your pic's.  Thanks

I wasn't expecting it either, but it does cover the entire bar. The manual states that each bar length has it's own scabbard up to 35", where you would need an extension.

thecfarm

Zach,us men have to stick together.  :D  I'm not a chainsaw collector,but do know what you mean.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jpdocdave

Welcome aboard, great lookin saw.
Stihl MS250
Poulan Pro 505
Poulan Pro 295
Poulan Pro 190 Top Handle
Homelite XL

HotRail

Good choice....don't listen to SawTroll...

john_bud

Nice saw.  I bought one just months before the "M" variation came out with all the fancy bells and whistles of the smart no-adjustment carb.

Oh,  mine lasted about 10 tanks of fuel until the muffler gained a few extra holes ;).   It runs better with easier breathing.
280 acres of tree farm

Fatcougar

Nice saw! I have had the earlier version of this saw ( 026 ) for around 15 years now....It has started every time I have gone to use it and have had no issues whatsoever.
  I mostly just cut up firewood so its not like I put the hours on it like a professional would, but it has been super reliable.  :)
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

nmurph

Quote from: Fatcougar on October 31, 2013, 02:30:49 PM
Nice saw! I have had the earlier version of this saw ( 026 ) for around 15 years now....It has started every time I have gone to use it and have had no issues whatsoever.
  I mostly just cut up firewood so its not like I put the hours on it like a professional would, but it has been super reliable.  :)

An 026 is not an earlier version of the 261.

FishyD

Nice saw. Just ordered a 261 M-Tronic myself to replace an old 009 I have been using for limbing. I think the 261 is a perfect firewood saw. Definitely an interesting scabbard, I have never seen a Stihl one like that before. The 25" one for my 441 is actually 2 pieces that slide in and out adjust from like 16" to 28".

Fatcougar

An 026 is not an earlier version of the 261.

So the product evoloution has been 026, 026PRO, 260, 261........ each one of these being a replacement saw in the pro line for a previous model.....  the saws have had new features added to them and changes made as time goes by, but if you go into a Stihl dealership and ask: What is the latest version to replace my 026.... guess what they will say. Your comment seems a bit picky...... ::)

Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

nmurph

No, it's not picky, it's accurate. Replacement, yes. New version, no...and dealerships are often the worst place to find correct information about saws.

Also, you left out the 024/024S.

Fatcougar

The 024 is a Professional grade 42 cc saw, so that would be a different saw line than the Professional 50cc saw line - nope, didn't forget anything. 
     Sooooo........ the guy that has been rebuilding and working on the saws at my saw shop for the last 20 years knows less than you about Stihl chainsaws???
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

rattler

FishyD

I think its kind of semantics: new version vs. replacement, c'mon. Stihl dropped their 0 first (026) designations 10 or more years ago in favor of the 0 last (260) designations and now going into 1 and 2 last (261, 362) for upgraded models. The MS261 is Stihl's current 50cc pro saw, the 026's were the old ones. Whether the 261 is an evolution of the earlier 026's (new version) or completely new design (replacement) seems kind of irrelevant. How much of the 261's design needs to be borrowed from the 026 series to warrant "new version" vs. "replacement", 51% or what?

Both are great saws!

beenthere

Reminds me of when I was over on the AS forum....   ::)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

FishyD

With AS down, I think there will be a mass migration. I have read stuff on here forever but just recently joined myself. I hope FF keeps the friendly atmosphere.

nmurph

Quote from: Fatcougar on October 31, 2013, 03:19:50 PM
The 024 is a Professional grade 42 cc saw, so that would be a different saw line than the Professional 50cc saw line - nope, didn't forget anything. 
     Sooooo........ the guy that has been rebuilding and working on the saws at my saw shop for the last 20 years knows less than you about Stihl chainsaws???

There is almost nothing shared bw the 026 and the 261...just because it replaced it doesn't mean it's a new version. You chose your words carelessly and I pointed it out.

Shotgun

Any chance of getting some legitimate pictures posted so we can see what you're talking about?  I see that the illegal pics were removed, as they will always be, but maybe the OP can do it properly so the posts make a little more sense.

As the saying goes, 'we like pictures', however, pictures need to meet the Forestry Forum requirements.

Thanks.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Fatcougar

There is almost nothing shared bw the 026 and the 261...just because it replaced it doesn't mean it's a new version. You chose your words carelessly and I pointed it out.

You crack me up.... :D have a nice day!
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

thecfarm

Shotgun,I saw the pictures. Just google Stihl MS 261 C-M to get the idea.

ktoom

Quote from: beenthere on October 31, 2013, 04:13:12 PM
Reminds me of when I was over on the AS forum....   ::)

I must agree lololol

Shotgun

Quote from: thecfarm on October 31, 2013, 05:08:21 PM
Shotgun,I saw the pictures. Just google Stihl MS 261 C-M to get the idea.

Shouldn't have to Google to see the picture.  It just needs to be done properly for the benefit of all. If one is going to post pictures, one ought to learn to do it according to FF requirements.  It's a historical thing.  Just saying.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Thank You Sponsors!