iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cook's Single Tooth Setter

Started by red pine, December 03, 2011, 07:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red pine

I have thought of getting Cook's single tooth setter. I realize that the dual tooth is much better, but as one normally does not have to set the blade every time it is sharpened, and the significant price difference, a single tooth one should do. Does anyone have any positives/negatives about my contemplated purchase. Cook's do not have any Canadian distributors, so although Free Trade supposedly exists between Canada and U.S.A., I know I will incur significant duty plus brokers fees, so I am not sure of actual cost. Free Trade never seems to be in my favour.

Banjo picker

Get the dual the single takes too long... Thats what I wish someone would have told me.   ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

cypresskayaksllc

If you know what youre doing get a dual. If youre like me get the single ::)
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Chuck White

Quote from: red pine on December 03, 2011, 07:33:17 PM
I have thought of getting Cook's single tooth setter. I realize that the dual tooth is much better, but as one normally does not have to set the blade every time it is sharpened, and the significant price difference, a single tooth one should do. Does anyone have any positives/negatives about my contemplated purchase.

The dual tooth setter might not be better, but, it is a lot faster!

I have the single tooth setter and I set my bands with (before) every sharpening!

Hope you can find a good deal on getting a setter, either way!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

Check the saw mill mods thread.

I turned my Single tooth setter too a dual tooth setter from the info in that thread.

I set my bands both before and after sharpening now and is still faster then setting the once with the single tooth setter.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

losttheplot

There is no duty between the US and Canada if the Item is made in the US.
If you ship with a shipping company they will charge you a "Brokerage fee" this can be expensive.
US postal service / Canada post charge a flt rate, It was about $5 last time i remember.

Use This site.
www.thefinalcost.com
To calculate what the final cost will be.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

bandmiller2

Red Pine,why don't you make one,a single tooth setter is simple.A Destako overcenter clamp and a dial indicator.The clamp is used in machine shops to hold work to a table,and is available through co's like Enco,Grainger est. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

I have the Cooks setter and it does a fine job but one-at-a-time is slow. It takes me 20 - 35 minutes to set both sides depending on whether I accidentally over set and have to bend teeth back.
Pineywoods posted his homemde dual setter which he made for about $1.49 or some similarly astounding low price.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DGK

Not too hijack, but who make the fastest most accurate tooth setter. I have a Woodmizer single tooth setter that is much too slow for my liking.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

customsawyer

I have the dual tooth setter and like it as I can set a blade in less than 5 min. I run a cooks sharpener and WM pro series  CBN sharpener. The dual tooth setter can keep up with both sharpeners running and I still have time to drink a cup of coffee now and then. I will run 8-10 blades an hour which will allow me to keep the blades sharp for both mills with just a little time in the evenings one or two nights a week.
If your time is worth anything then the dual tooth setter will pay for itself in short time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DGK

Hello Customsawyer, which brand of dual toothsetter do you have?
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: DGK on December 04, 2011, 07:19:44 AM
Not too hijack, but who make the fastest most accurate tooth setter. I have a Woodmizer single tooth setter that is much too slow for my liking.

The mod thread has a section showing a $1.98 mod.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,46818.msg683228.html#msg683228

Mine is about a $2.49 mod as I did mine with a bolt on piece rather then welding it on to my WM single tooth setter.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

customsawyer

DGK I have the Cooks dual tooth setter. There was a steep learning curve when I started sharpening. It was in no way due to the equipment but due to the fact that I was trying to let my dad do the sharpening and I didn't realize how bad his vision had gotten. Of course he refused to use his glasses which really improved his quality.  ;D By the time I took it over there were so many blades that took a lot of work to get them back into shape so that they would cut right.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!