iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite dog

Started by TN_man, October 25, 2004, 03:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

I highly recommend a Labrador Retriever. They are good around children and are very good family dogs. They are natural retrievers and make good duck dogs if trained properly. They won't chase your chickens unless you train them to do so. They are good tempered but territorial. If a stranger walks onto your property, they will be challenged by a low gutteral growl. One other thing, if you plan on spanking your child, put the lab in another room first. The lab is going to protect your child.  We have a chocolate lab and she's part of the family. It's our 2nd lab. Oh......and they absolutely love the water. Take them for a swim.

One thing to remember. If you get a puppy, it is going to have to grow up just like a child would. Labs really like to play a lot when young and are like a two year old child until they hit 2 years old and then they begin to settle down.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

TN_man

Thanks for all the input. I have already purchased some training videos that include a "how to pick out your puppy" section. There is an old guy that I have seen at the local cattle auction that seels Aussie pups and I have asked him if his dogs chase chickens and his response was that you have to train them not to. I will have to go back over there and ask him how he does it. :) Dang sounds like he has a good idea, although I wonder if the chickens could hurt it like they would hurt a strange chicken dropped in their midst. They can be mercyless, but maybe if I put it in there during low light hours when they are not as active that would help.
Well this has given me some breeds to start researching on and I appreciate your responses and well-wishes, Jeff ;)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Roxie

You won't go wrong with an Aussie around children.  I do have one last suggestion when you start training.....make certain that every member of the household uses the same word for "outside" and "sit" and "down" and "off".  "Down" should mean the dog is to lay down....off means the dog leaves the sofa, your lap, and gets his paws off the kitchen counter.   :)  When your pups breeder gives you tips, pay close attention and what the breeder says over-rides what the 'book' tells you.  Enjoy your puppy and keep us posted on his progress!
Say when

Murf

I'd be a little cautious about that DanG method of training dogs with chickens.

A couple of farms over the people have a Lab that was trained that way, but they didn't know that when it was given to them.

The dog now has such a hatred for chickens that it will run them down, bite the head off and then just leave the body alone. I guess it figures it's getting revenge or something.

My Chesapeake only got into the chickens once, I gave her such a talkin' too she had her tail stuck between her legs for hours, then when it came to dinner time all she fouind in her bowl was the chicken she had killed, feathers and all. She got the hint REAL fast.

The Jack Russell, "Deputy Dawg" over there to the left, is either more clever or something, he just walks up to them and gives a big bark, if they chase him he makes a game of it, if not he walks away.

He really likes the way chicken tastes, but he seems able to wait until it's off the BBQ.  :D

You couldn't ask for a better 'people dog', kids or adults.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Furby

One thing to remember......
When training the puppy, also train the children!
Any and all dogs are capable of biting. You must train children to respect the dog. Nothing wrong with rolling around and having a good time with the dog, but the child MUST have a good idea how far to push a dog. If not, eventually the dog may let them know and it may not be pretty.
I've heard way to many stories about how "my dog has never bitten a soul", then the next day that same dog tears the heck out of some one.  ::)

My Aunt and Uncle have a couple of Dobermans. Most people belive them to be very agressive, these two are not. Just big dolls, but you don't push them!!!

Quartlow

I've had lor of dogs growing up Currently we have 2 labs, both house dogs. Neither one was hard to train. These 2 make the third and forth one we have had. Kenda, our female had a chewing stint when she was younger but it only lasted about 6 or 8 months, Her son, Flint at 4 years old has never chewed up a thing, One of his brothers though has destroyed a bed, a weed eater, 2 4 wheeler tires and god only knows what else. Fortunatly none of this while we owned him. Of course we only had him the first 12 weeks of his life.

While its not instinctive they can be trained to herd animals, My yellow which passed away last year could herd hogs with the best of them.

All of my labs have been great watchdogs, nothing gets past these two. Keep in mind they are active dogs, and they crave attention, but with a little love you can have dog that will be loyal to the point of being annoying.

And on top of that, there are no mean dogs, only mean owners. any dog can be trained to kill from the littlest poodle to the gentlest lab. When we got married we had a shepard rot mix that wondered in and stayed. kids beat that dog pulled his tail layed on him sat on him stuck their hands in his mouth and pulled out food  poked him prodded him and generally made the poor dog miserable to the point where he would just sit there and stare at us like PLEASE HELP ME!!! and never once so much as growled at a kid.
 On the other hand while living in KS my wife had him out for a walk one evening. I come home to find cop cars every where. seems a guy was walking up the street towards them.  and he pinned the guy to the ground and held him there till the cops showed up. turns out the cops had been looking for the guy for weeks. He jumped bail on rape charges.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

hillbilly

Trianing a puppy is a long road sometimes,but it is a must that every one in your house hold uses the same commands and methods to keep the puppy or dog from being confused.
                 I've had several dogs over the years since we've allways lived in the country ,collies ,german shepards,labs mix breeds of different sorts lots of hounds and begals,but we have replaced them all with southern blackmouth currs,they look somewhat like a yellow lab they are pretty playful most of them that I have seen are interestd in what ever you arethere pretty good tree dogs {coons and squirells} they are usually pretty good around and for kids and ours are snake killing machines .I bushoged  down a food plot of about 3acres in the field this summer,I killed one with the tractor and sadie are oldest dog killed 5 big ones by her self .I have lots of pictures that i could put on here if I could get my wife to show me how ,good luck with your choices of pup.

hillbilly

TN_man

Thanks hillbilly for the advice. We were given a female black lab pup 2 days ago and I was just telling my daughter yesterday that she and I need to be using the same commands so the dog does not get confused. She seems to be glad to have a new home and follows my daughter around and is excited to see her. They already seem to be forming a bond. She will lay on the front porch and watch in the door for us to go by. My wife said that she started to "play chase" with the chickens yesterday but when my wife scolded her, she stopped and ran up to her to see what was wrong. So far,so good I guess.:)
Furby,
I have been working with my daughter too, not to overwork the dog or push its limits. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks to everybody for the input, ya'll have been helpful 8)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

pappy

A lot of good sound advice in this thread  8)

This is our fifth Lab B. W. stands fer Bow Weight (weight in the bow of me canoe ;))and answers to B, they have all been very good dogs.  This one we rescued from a broken home and was very wild to say the least.  Our vet showed us the Dominant Down technique, a method of restraining the dog until he submits to you, you must be alpha to your dog if you're going to train him right.  A very effective maneuver, as BW turned from a uncontrollable animal into a well mannered companion. It's not a technique every dog needs but if you got a wild puppy have your vet show you how.

He doesn't usually get up on the table, I coaxed him  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

hillbilly

Termite werehave you been hiding I havent seen any new pics of the cabin latley they sure look nice.
                      TN man there is  alot of bonding between a family and a good dog have fun and be patient.
                      hillbilly

Faron

I gave one batch of grandkids (4years and 2 years old) a female blue heeler.  The dog is not a year old yet.  In playing with the kids out in the yard, if I (or their dad) make an aggressive move toward the kids, I get a good nip on the heels.  Do it again, and I get a little harder nip.  She seems to be saying "These are my kids, and I am watching you!"  They live on a church campground as overseers,  and the dog gets around the kids and nudges them a little to keep them in the vicinity of the adults out around the buildings. I suspect when the dog gets a little older, discipline may have to occur indoors because of the dog.  When my grandson figures that out, he'll likely head outside when he gets in trouble.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Jeff

Yep, thats a breed trait I gotta think. Our Sydney dog does not allow raising a hand to someone else. If you do, he is between you with teeth bared, although he has never ever bit anyone. Tammy has to thump me on the sly. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I've always liked the labs.  The problem with the black ones are that they are hard to see at night.  The other problem is they shed quite a bit.

The only problem I've had with a lab and kids is when the kids come after the lab.  I had one that was here before the kids and was a mama's dog.  After the kids, he didn't want to allow them to close to my wife.  But, he was the best groundhog killer of the bunch.

I did buy a dog that was 2 years old.  He was the most loyal of the bunch and was good with kids, cats and anything else that came into his domain.  It seems that after the age of 2, almost any dog settles down and becomes civil.

The new one is only a year old.  He was housebroke in 3 days and still has too much energy.  He has settled in as being my daughters dog.  I've noticed that dogs that have women as primary care givers as pups generally favor women over men.  If they have men as primary care givers, then its men.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

My favorite dog died in 1970 and I haven't had a dog since.  I've wanted one but just couldn't stand the loss again.  Every dog I see, I compare with that old dog.  

He was a mutt that must have had some Lab in him because of the facial features and some Setter because of the feathery tail.  He was a non-discript, brown-colored, good-natured, playful, medium to long haired,medium-sized dog that loved the water.  His name was Moses.

Moses was acquired when I was at school in Athens Georgia. He was a little pup whose eyes hadn't opened yet. We cared for him like a child and he had the run of the house.  He slept on his special blanket in the corner of the living room or where-ever the blanket was put. He knew his yard and seldom left it.  He even seemed to know not to go very far from us when we were in a strange environment.

Moses loved to chase butterflies.  He would run with his tongue dangling out and give off little high pitched, excited barks while he jumped in the air trying to catch them.  He also went banana's when we went to the beach and the gulls would fly close.  In a  moment he would be a  mile down the beach with his tail strung out and his head stuck out and just-a gittin' it after a pelican that was soaring about 6 inches over the water.  He was racing them, I guess.

We used to take him to the Park in Athens where there was a bunch of ducks and some geese.  He wouldn't mess with them while they were on shore but would swim out into the lake with his eyes as big as saucers and try to swim with them.  He would just follow them around till he got too tired to stay there any longer.  His favorite pass-time was to jump into the lake and swim around until he found a stick floating.  He would put it in his mouth and swim back to shore and begin making a pile of sticks.   After an afternoon at the Park the lake would be cleaned of sticks and there would be 3 or 4 piles of sticks at varying spots on the shoreline.  

Moses loved blackberries.  When we would go to pick blackberries, he would pick them too.  His lips and tongue would be plumb purple by the time we got done. He sure liked them and mulberries too if he could reach them.

Children were safe around Moses.  Anybody's children.  He would watch them  in the yard and if they got too close to the road or to something in the yard that might hurt them, he would get in the way, put his shoulder against them and guide them in a different direction.  They would pull his hair and ears and try to climb on his back and he just stood there with his tongue hanging out and a twinkle in his eye.

If he wanted attention he would nuzzle your hand with his nose until you petted him.  If you were sitting in a chair, and didn't pet him, he would nuzzle and put his hind foot on your shoe.  Then he would put his front foot on your knee and then his back foot would be on your knee and before long.....you had a 50 pound dog in your lap doing his imitation of hugging you.   I know that makes some folks mad but I loved it.

One morning, about 2am, I was trying to sleep after a hard day at the Newspaper and he came to the bedroom and woke me up whining.  He was nuzzling my hand.  I told him to leave me alone.  He did but would come back and do it again.  Finally I got mad and scolded him, telling him to leave me alone, I was trying to sleep.  

When I woke up in the morning, he was laying on rug next to my side of the bed within arms reach and he had died.  There was a puddle of blood on the rug by his mouth.

The Vet said that it looked as if someone had fed him glass.  I was angry for months and have never gotten over the loss.

I love everybody else's dog but just can't seem to get close enough to have one of my own again.  It makes me sad just telling the story.

etat

For me there was only one dog.  He was my friend and much more than just a dog.  I told about him just a while back and won't go into the whole story again.  I, We've , always had a dog of one kind or another, both before and after, and have one now who my wife and kids truly love.  I  like the dog we have now but it just ain't the same for me.  I too feel sad when I think about him and the way he died.  His name was Midnight.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

TN_man

I am sorry to hear of the sadness that comes from the loss.
I can only hope though that my daughter can know and enjoy the companionship and closeness that only a dog can fill. I think that God made a special places in our hearts that can only be filled by the love that we have for others and for pets, not to mention Himself. The fond memories we have can serve to remind us that life was designed to enjoy.
I believe though that this bonding has started. That pup will run next to my daughter and look up at her as if she is trying to garner as much attention from her as possible. I think it is going to work out good. ;)

gizmo

I have a Rott named Gizmo. He is a very loyal companion and is a legend with the kids up at our cabins. When he sees the kids coming he has a unique howl and his little stub wags like crazy. I used to have Black and tan coon hounds, Blue ticks, Beagles but this dog is super intelligent. The sad part is he weighs 182 and big dogs don't last long. He's not fat because he's 30 inches to the shoulders.........

Thank You Sponsors!