iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insulation for New Kiln

Started by pine, January 15, 2017, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pine

I recently stumbled upon a fantastic clearance price on the type of foam that Nyle recommends in their kiln design. 

Actually they recommend two types:
the foil covered Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam bonded to reinforced aluminum foil facers
and the Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) Rigid Foam Insulation which can be found in both blue or pink depending upon manufacturer. 

Never use the expanded polystyrene (EPS) (white stuff ) according to Nyle. 

But I digress.

Home Depot which has not had the 2 inch Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) Rigid Foam Insulation in-stock  for several months suddenly got a shipment in and they put it on clearance at a ridiculously low price.  This clearance price sees to be pretty wide spread throughout the US (if they have it in stock).  The normal price is $29 per sheet.  The clearance price is $7.93 per 2 inch 4 x 8 sheet.  They are still selling the same material in the 2 foot width for $21 and are not putting it on clearance.   ??? :-\

If you are building a kiln then you might want to look into this before they run out or they jack the price back to normal.  It can be a VERY significant savings.

xlogger

I wish they would of done that last year. >:(
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WLC

Thanks for the heads up!  I'm going to town tomorrow and will swing by and see if they are having that sale up here.  Boy if they are I may buy all they have and just put it back.  That's an awesome deal.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

tule peak timber

man,,,that is a good price. I bought a whole unit two years ago here in California and had to pay about 39$ per sheet. Ouch !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Den Socling

I can't imagine too much insulation for some species like oak. On the other hand, you will need powered vents for species like basswood.

Darrel

I'm going to Klamath Falls tomorrow. I'll check it out
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!