iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there bad oak?

Started by muck, March 17, 2014, 09:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I sawed another kind of bad Oak this morning.  Foreignigus Metalullous Oakonus.  That stuff is murder on saw blades.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

muck

how well do metal detectors really work?
with my scavanging logs from almost any source
i'm sure I will need one.
@hardtailjohn
I cut some wood in western Montana out of Libby
mostly firewood but I remember the Fir and Tamarak
were monsters!

Magicman

Any one of the three metal detectors in my truck would have easily found these.  None will if they are in the truck. 

Fact is, I very seldom scan logs, and it is a "catch 22" situation.  I'm sawing hourly rate, scan logs, and find nothing.  Whose clock was I on?  If I scan and find nothing, and still hit something, who pays for the blade?  I do often ask if the customer wants to scan.  That way it is his time, and still his nail if he doesn't find it before the blade finds it.

The blade will always find them and I charge $25.  Actually, hitting metal is a very small percentage considering the number of logs that come across my sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hardtailjohn

Muck, Libby is about 60 miles from me...yah, there's still some good sized stuff around once in a while. ;)
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!