iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hauling long utility poles (pictures)

Started by StorminN, February 19, 2009, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

The 345 KV line that runs near me is on 110 to 120 ft western red cedar poles.  Only the butts are treated somehow. They're nice to climb, soft wood, unlike the new cca poles.  Sometimes the pilated woodpeckers will rip a hole in the tops & make a nest there.  When they're delivering these poles, the crane goes along too, it's needed to lift the tail end around some of the narrow country roads here. Longest I ever trailered was a 65 footer. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

ely

the longest we have ever trailered was some 120 fters. 1 or 2 were of the h class most are O or OO. even after planting 14 ft or so in the ground it still takes alot of reach to get up the pole to where your safety will latch

most of ours are douglas fir a few southern pine. i have never reset a western red cedar, but we do have them in the system here from the olden days. in the forties, sorry guys. ;D

ranger689

Quote from: mike_van on May 15, 2009, 05:54:09 AM
The 345 KV line that runs near me is on 110 to 120 ft western red cedar poles.  Only the butts are treated somehow. They're nice to climb, soft wood, unlike the new cca poles.  Sometimes the pilated woodpeckers will rip a hole in the tops & make a nest there.  When they're delivering these poles, the crane goes along too, it's needed to lift the tail end around some of the narrow country roads here. Longest I ever trailered was a 65 footer. 

Western Red Cedar can be treated in a "butt tank" or full length treated in a retort, it all depends on what the customer wants. A 120' WRC poll would be something very special these days, though Doug Fir 120' poles can be found without too much trouble.

Don't get me wrong, it takes a very special tree to make a 120' pole but they can be found. My company "pre-poled" a stand of nice mature Doug Fir in SW Washington that ran 140' to a 10" top. I know that doesn't compare to "old growth" but old growth don't make poles.

I just cruised a nice DNR sale up by Port Angeles and the ring count on Doug Fir ranged between 20 and 43 in the first inch, this would make some nice veneer!

Thank You Sponsors!