iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hints for drying sycamore

Started by c austin, December 08, 2010, 07:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c austin

I was looking for any helpful hints for drying sycamore. I'm going to air dry the wood for about 3 mounts then put the wood in my soler kiln witch will take about 2 mounts to dry the wood thanks for any info. 

WDH

Put the very best grade on the bottom so that the weight from the lower grade lumber provides some benefit to the best.  There is not much you can do about the warp and twist that you will get, primarily from the flatsawn boards that were closest to the bark.  Putting the stickers closer together also helps some, but the interlocked grain in sycamore will render some of the boards useless except for small pieces that you can cut out of the twisted, warped boards to make small projects. 

That being said, probably a majority of the boards will dry relatively straight, but if you use if before the moisture content has had a chance to get to the lowest equalibrium point for the final resting place, it will surely cup and or twist as it dries down.  Surely.  Don't ask me how I know this  :).

Sycamore has one of the higher green moisture contents.  It is wet stuff.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

If your solar kiln is empty, I'd put the wood directly into the kiln.

Thank You Sponsors!