iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help drying  Sycamore

Started by steveo_1, February 14, 2004, 08:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveo_1

I have recently acquired some sycamore logs,some nice and some not so nice,but one is 48" diameter and 16' long,a very nice log.I would like to see this log used the very best possible ways it can,so any input would be very appreciated.Will these boards bow being 16' long?They will be qsawn which I read from other posts will be the best way to minimize warping and cupping,but I am not sure about the bow.I also have some hickory lumber that i will be drying with the sycamore.Would it be best to stack the hickory on top to help add wieght to the sycamore? I would hate to see the hickory go to the archery range either as they are 13" wide,so would they be better on the bottom of the stack instead? It will all be air dried in a 2 car garage type building.
got wood?

ElectricAl

Steve,

If the lumber is true Quartersawn, side bend will be an issue with a 16' board. The bark side of the board will shrink more than then heart wood.

Do you really need 16' lumber?

Another problem with long Quartersawn is sawing out of the ray pattern.

Sycamore sticker stains easy, so keep an eye on that too.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

woodmills1

When using true quartersawing taper becomes a real issue.  If the 16 foot log has taper you will get many wider boards if you make 2 eight foot logs. In Dec. I cut two long white oaks into quartered material but first cut the lengths in half, the yield would have suffered if I didn't.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

steveo_1

Thanks alot guys,I was gonna cut to 8' just to make it easier to handle,  but thought i would find out if 16' would bow first it would be really nice to have some of that length.  Thanks again!
got wood?

woodmills1

If you need or want 16' you can flat saw and the boards near the pith will show as quarter sawn on both sides of the center.  Split them and you will have 16' quartered boards.  Woodmizer instruction manuals have a modified quarter method in them.  If you can get a copy it is a good way to produce some true quartered material without the loss from the actual quartering of the log.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ronwood

steveo_1

If you need a copy of the pages in the Woodmizer manual that shows the method that woodmills is talking about I would be happy to scan it this evening and pass it on to those who are interested.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Wes

steveo did you say 48"dia x 16' ?

I had a 38"dia x 16' white oak on my mill and had to take it back off.the mill could barely handle the weight of the 8' log.

I had good luck air drying some 10' sycamore lumber, I stacked a fiew layers of maple on top and they came out preity nice.

steveo_1

ronwood,                                                                              I would like to see that method of qsawing if u dont mind,I might be able to use it if not for this log maybe some others.Wes,I had thought of that nice looking log on the mill could get pretty ugly quick if it got away from us,so i was gonna try to qsaw it with a chainsaw to make it a little more easier for me and the mill,not to mention my little car hauler trailer that will be toting it home.Was your sycamore qsawn or flat?And thanks again guys.
got wood?

Wes

stevo, mine were mostly Q-sawn using the modified method. I think given the size of your log,you will have to modify the modified method.

iain

syc is one of my fav woods and i end rear ALL of it before drying that is
a WELL vented shady spot to stand the boards on end, touching only at the top either board tip to board tip, or a clean scrap of timber as a spacer they stay that way for a couple of weeks, then into  the kiln with clean dry stickers, if its a mixed load then anything that may drip or stain goes on the bottom :)

Thank You Sponsors!