iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chickens

Started by Furby, March 06, 2005, 01:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

I get the same thing occasionally Furby. I have been thinking that it seemed odd that one hen didn't seem to have enough calcium (thin shells), while another (the one with the crusty shell like stuff) had too much. I feed them table scraps and layer feed too, just like you are. I assumed the layer feed contained all the necessary ingredients for good eggs. So what do I know!  :D

My neighbor offered to give me some of his chickens, he had so many he didn't know what to do with them all. (he is up to 32 now!  :o ) So if you need more hens I know just the place you can get them.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

TexasTimbers

I seen the post heading when I was perusing the index and it says "Chickens" then I noticed the last poster it said "Patty" so naturally I thought of a chicken patty.
I have never read this thread or any part of it, but scanning this current page Furby it seems you might solve your problems by making some Chicken Patties.  food3
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Stump Jumper

Farmer friend of mine told me not to chop the heads off just slit under there tounge with a razor sharp knife. hardly no fuss.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

TexasTimbers

Why can't ya just gas 'em. Take the cuttn torch and fill a baggie with some acetylene (propane in my case) and slip the baggie over their heads while you gently rub their belly to calm their nerves. the meat would be more tender if they left this world all relaxed like instead of flopping around spraying scat all over the kitchen cabinets.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Mooseherder

This may be a little graphic for some.  If you don't like to hear about butchering. Stop reading now. :o
I visited a Chicken Plant in Douglas Georgia a few years back when I was a Meat Manager. It was kind of a reward field trip for about 30 Meat guys. :D
Their process had the chickens coming into a dark room. The chickens were taken out of their crates and put into a bin. There, about 6 workers picked the chickens up by their feet and hung them upside down on this overhead conveyor that accomodated each chicken foot. They were all calm and quiet.  As the conveyor went through the plant, about 30 feet from being placed on the rail upside down, a razor knife slit their neck but left just enough meat to keep the head hanging on. Then they proceeded to a timing area that zig-zagged them back and forth in a room for a couple minutes that allowed the blood to drain. Next step was the de-featherer. This machine reminded me of a car wash. You know the old bristle brush type only these probably had alot more pressure. The line kept moving to the chiller, where they are dropped to safe temperature zone within 3 minutes. Then the line moved on to the cutting room where a series of different production lines with hundreds of workers cut parts, boned out breasts etc. The whole process goes from live chicken to packaged at proper temperature in less than 20 minutes. There was a tremondous amount of water being used at his plant. Something like a couple hundred thousand gallons everyday. There were several other processes we visited. The farms, where most of these chickens come to market at 7 weeks of age. The egg hatchery where this room was incubating a million eggs. The smell in that room gave me the dry heeves and I went out the emergency exit because of the previous nights festivities. :D Come to think of it. That was the best part of the trip.

Dan_Shade

since i pretty much have no idea what i'm doing, is there anything wrong with this:

notice the slight discoloration on the breast bone, this was an easter egger (I think), it was a cockeral.  pretty scrawny, but getting pretty annoying (I wonder why)....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mooseherder

Dan,
I am at a hotel hook up with 2 other Meat guys behind my shoulder and we all three voted not to eat that chicken. :D

Dan_Shade

that's where i'm leaning....

any idea what the issue is?  the breast bone has a slight green color, and it looks bruised....

more concerning are the discolored nads...  the little jerk seemed healthy...

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

My grandfathers 4-H group went on a tour of a packing plant, probably about 1934. They got to pick out a pig and they followed it through the plant and watched it made into hot dogs. They then cooked up the dogs at the end of the tour. How many kids do you suppose would go on that tour today? :o :D

The only part I want to do with chickens is eat them as buffalo chicken tenders. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Norm

I get that on some chickens I raise too Dan. It seems like it's an abscess from where they lay on it. I throw those chickens in with the rest of the innards to the burn pit. After all the work to get them to that point I know how you feel but I wouldn't take the risk.

Dan_Shade

is it a breast blister?

i was also concerned about that miscolored nad, though that may not be a big deal.

Norm

I had to look it up but from the definition it sure seems like what I've seen. I've also seen some where one of the innards is diseased or misformed. I get rid of them too although I only see one or two out of the 50 we raise so it's not a big deal.

Qweaver

We're having a predator problem, probably a fox.  We lost a lot of ckickens before we got a hen house.  We've seen a few both day and night.  We left the hen house door open a few nights back and lost one chicken at about 3:00 am.  Our neighbor has lost all of his chickens to predators but he does not have a hen house.  Rodney put out some spring traps for the foxes but only managed to catch two chickens.  We now have two limping chickens...we named one of them Sarah...Sarah(the human Sarah with the broken leg) was not amused.  Our other problem is that the hens are laying and setting out in the woods ( I guess thay got tired of us stealing their eggs) where they are easy pickins for the foxes. I'm considering building a trap similar to the hog traps that we use in Texas.  The foxes seem too smart to go into a small trap.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Mooseherder

Hey Dan,
Most laying Chickens have some degree of Breast blister but it is usually just a clear mucous membrane that easily seperates from the meat when you prep. That chicken looked to have some sort of disease. Anytime you see the innards like that they tell a story.

Dan_Shade

the testes look to be swollen and discolored to me, are they?  the rest of the innards looked about normal. 

(i'm not going to eat the chicken. at this point, i'm just trying to figure out what's wrong with it, if anything).

Mooseherder

Looks like some kind of deficiency but I am not qualified to say for sure.
The old food safety rule is when in doubt, throw it out.

Dan_Shade

yeah, i'm not starving, it's not worth the risk to me.  i don't like that I killed the little jerk for nothing :(  however, it's much nicer around here without him!

Roxie

Well, the good news is that he looks like he was gonna die soon anyway. 
Say when

Modat22

Sorry I had to bump this thread, I'm thinking about getting some chickens for a few eggs and some oven roasters and was doing some searching.

I never thought I'd raise chickens myself because I can still smell the wet nasty smell of plucked scalded feathers from my younger years. But the idea has been picking up steam, along with raising a few rabbits.
remember man that thy are dust.

WH_Conley

Know what you mean about the smell. My stomach wins out. Love young rabbit, gotta get past the grand childs though. :D :D
Bill

Dan_Shade

if you have plenty of room get 25-50 of a heritage breed, and a good house, that should be enough to keep you in chicken and eggs for quite a while.   the broilers are a headache, they all need processed at once, or they start to die on you.  I lost 5 on one hot afternoon once, I gave up after that.

Thank You Sponsors!