iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craftsman 3.7/18 sprocket and clutch drum removal tricks.?

Started by bushmanjr83, December 02, 2023, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmanjr83

Just wondering if anyone might know any tricks to getting the clutch drum and sprocket off my Craftsman 3.7/18 chainsaw.? I just need to lock up the cylinder and then it should spin off with reverse thread correct.? Would it be unwise to put a pipe wrench on the drum to get some serious leverage.? I just thought I would check with you guys before I do anything like that because I can tend to be a bit of a ramrod in situations like this, and I would prefer to not destroy any obsolete parts should they happen to be impossible to find replacements..

The reason I am removing it is because I bought a new Oregon bar and chain but when I put them on they don't seem to want to spin freely by hand, so I haven't even tried to start it and run it. I suspect that the sprocket pitch does not match up with that of the new chain that I bought. Regardless it looks quite chewed up and needs replaced anyway.
TIA folks!

lxskllr

I just looked up the manual for that saw, and it looks like it takes ⅜"lp bar/chain. Is that what you bought? Regular ⅜" will kind of fit, but not really. If you tried to run it with mismatched chain, it would likely thrash your sprocket.

To answer your question, A sharp blow is probably better than a heavy steady pull to loosen the clutch, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

hotshot

Quote from: bushmanjr83 on December 02, 2023, 06:26:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone might know any tricks to getting the clutch drum and sprocket off my Craftsman 3.7/18 chainsaw.? I just need to lock up the cylinder and then it should spin off with reverse thread correct.?  
Yup, left hand thread.  That must be a Roper made saw as the red Poulan made Craftsman 3.7 had a hex nut cast in the clutch for easy removal.

Are there not two holes in the clutch face to put two big allen wrench bits into, then clamp that pair of allens in a bench vise?  
Use the saw body to turn the clutch off...kind of awkward with the saw on its side but it works well to bust one loose.

Thank You Sponsors!