iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OEM vs Aftermarket Stihl parts

Started by grb5043, August 27, 2020, 07:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real1shepherd

The 70E is/was a great saw....iconic J'reds. A little bulky by today's standards but still a well balanced, modern ported saw.

One caveat is the SEM's module under the flywheel. They later updated to a module pickup outside the flywheel. But the SEM's module under the flywheel goes bad with a lot of these saws....and as far as I know, there's been no AM replacement.

Another caveat in the plastic fan bolted to the flywheel. The good news there is that a guy makes them with 3D printing on a very expensive machine at work and they are holding up perfectly.....wants about $40 for one.

Other than that, I don't know anyone who had a good running 70E that didn't like it. Most regret selling one if they let it go.

Kevin

Al_Smith

If I'm not mistaken it might have been the Stihl 056 that used a similar under the flywheel SEM coil .But's it's also rare as a hens tooth .However it's been mentioned there is now an aftermarket available .
Some years back when I got the 2100 CD it had a faulty coil and I got it cheap .Good old Bryce in Washington had one,50 bucks .The kill wire didn't work so I had to get creative on  that one .There's more than one way to skin a cat they say . ;)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Real1shepherd on September 05, 2020, 04:27:33 PM
The 70E is/was a great saw....iconic J'reds. A little bulky by today's standards but still a well balanced, modern ported saw.

One caveat is the SEM's module under the flywheel. They later updated to a module pickup outside the flywheel. But the SEM's module under the flywheel goes bad with a lot of these saws....and as far as I know, there's been no AM replacement.

Another caveat in the plastic fan bolted to the flywheel. The good news there is that a guy makes them with 3D printing on a very expensive machine at work and they are holding up perfectly.....wants about $40 for one.

Other than that, I don't know anyone who had a good running 70E that didn't like it. Most regret selling one if the let it go.

Kevin
Kevin, I had to pull the 70E out of the attic and have a look . It's got the upgraded external ignition module and the poly flywheel looks good.

The old girl is pretty dirty needs a good cleaning plus the fuel tanks interior is corroded pretty good .
Need to tear it down split the cases and stick it in my bead blaster cabinet.  
Eastwood sells a really good red paint for interiors of  engine blocks and heads.
I sprayed some fuel mix in the carb and she fired up on the first pull.
Be a nice project when I get the bike saws done.
It took Stihl 20 years after the 70E to get a poly wheel on their 066 I have .
The Jonsereds wheel looks better quality of steel and the bolt on poly fin wheel.
Got a good 20" Tsumura bar and a NOS Stihl 35RM chain.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Real1shepherd

Willard,
I would buy that 3D printed fan and just replace as insurance. Sometimes the OE fans just let go....even after a good examination. And then they can take out your recoil cover and damage the coil too. Anyway.....it can get ugly.

Looks like a fun project and at least you don't have the first run with the SEM's under the flywheel. Eastwood has fantastic stuff....or you could go with auto paint of the right color mix. I just don't wanna hear about clear coating shelf queen saws for gas resistance and all that nonsense.

@Al....the Husky 2100 has a replacement SEM's module out now, I've bought one. As far as a new SEM's for a 70E, show me what you're talking about?

Kevin

HolmenTree

Thanks Kevin,  if you could send me a PM with your friends name and address where I can get a new poly wheel made. I imagine I'd need to send mine to him.
I spent an hour last night looking over the 70E and man I forgot how well built these old  'sereds are. A company today would probably go bankrupt building one of these again.

Al_Smith

On the SEM coil I was referencing the 2100 Husqvarna .I have never seen  nor have any idea what this 70E is .I just reread my post but I failed to see where I even mentioned anything about a saw I know nothing about or even existed .Where did that assumption come from ?

Real1shepherd

If I'm not mistaken it might have been the Stihl 056 that used a similar under the flywheel SEM coil .But's it's also rare as a hens tooth .However it's been mentioned there is now an aftermarket available .

It's unclear what you're referring to here. Since were were talking about Willard's 70E, I assumed that's what you were referring to.

No, there's no reintroduction of the SEM's for the 70E.

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 06, 2020, 10:18:35 AM
Thanks Kevin,  if you could send me a PM with your friends name and address where I can get a new poly wheel made. I imagine I'd need to send mine to him.
I spent an hour last night looking over the 70E and man I forgot how well built these old  'sereds are. A company today would probably go bankrupt building one of these again.
Willard,
Go to post #132 and just contact the guy. He makes runs and then probably waits for more demand. They hold up....lots of them in use now. I only know him by reputation....never bought the fan myself.

I know a guy that has a 70E he wants to sell me. It's got the SEM's under the flywheel, but it's a nice running saw. Not cheap either, so it's no 'deal' and I'm in no hurry.  

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/70e-plastic-flywheel-3-d-printable.269641/page-7

Kevin

HolmenTree

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Tacotodd on August 29, 2020, 05:20:57 PM
@ZeroJunk and @Real1shepherd , just calm it and go to your separate corners.

Just remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Leave it at that.
Well, I didn't know I had been tagged or even what that is.  Haven't visited in a while.
Anyhow, sorry if I offended anybody. Have fun with your forum. Randy

Thank You Sponsors!