iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping Live Edge Slabs

Started by YellowHammer, August 10, 2019, 07:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I get requests for shipping single or multiple live edge and edged slabs, anywhere from 12 to 24 inches wide, 8 feet long, to customers, less than 80 lbs.  What is the best process for doing this?  I also want it to be minimal effort by me, because I don't want to become the "shipping department." 

Do I mummy wrap them in plastic?  Stretch wrap, or something else? Then just put a shipping label on it and be done with it?  Call UPS for pickup and watch it go?

Do I put it in custom made cardboard box? Does it have to be a regular dimension in the box, or just wrap it in cardboard?

All would be shipped by lowest cost, ground.  I had heard that 80 lbs is the FedEx or UPS cut off weight, but I don't know about that.

Depending on the level of effort, what kind of surcharge should I impose, i.e. the "handling" part of the "Shipping and Handling?"

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

I shipped a mantel to my brother in law up in Nebraska.  We have a local private shipping company "Joys".  I wrapped it in bubble wrap but on arrival they spruced up my package and it shipped for $70.  They do charge for materials if they help wrap it.  It was a 2.5 inch slab about 6 feet long.  I put cardboard on the flat sides that overhung the live edge to protect it.  My BIL was remodeling, and after all that, their new insert required combustables to be so high, that his wife did not like it being so high, so they did not use it... :( :) :) :).  .  @YellowHammer   If you want quick and easy, let the company wrap and ship and pass the cost on.  they can prob. give a range of estimated prices.  or you can pre-wrap to your satisfaction, but it will take your time.  You are a better judge of what your time is worth than I.  best regards, doc
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

I think you would want to build a "crate" around it out of pine or something like that to protect the surface and live edge. Those rollers, conveyors, diverters, and employees can be rough on packages. 70 lbs was the old UPS limit, we get stuff delivered often that weighs more than that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Cedarman

We ship FEDEX all the time and have an account with them.  Saves at least 40%.  We buy a stack of cardboard around 4' by 8 or 9' depending on what the company has. We lay the slab on the cardboard and fold and cut to encase the wood. We save excess cardboard for next package. We ship about 5 boxes from 20# on up each week. We use the clear packing tape.
Max weight is 140#.  Price is cheapest per pound at just under 70#.
We have a 5000# scales certified to 1/2#. We weigh, measure width, thickness and length.
Go on line punch the numbers in and shipping price comes up. We print the label.  FEDEX gives us a box of plastic pouches that we insert the label in.  Peel off backing and stick to box.
We charge 5 to 10 bucks.  Break even or make a dollar. Profit is off the wood.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

charles mann

Length is where its gonna getcha. I was gonna order a 9' long linear rail and i was told to contact the company. I called and she said 72" is max, so it would have to go freight. I contacted 6 different freight companies, including fed ex, ups and dhl, gave them dimensions (6" wide, 4" thick, 9' long and was told, oversized freight is more $$$, and if its to a hm/personal addy, it was even more$$$. I scrapped that order, found a guy in nw arkansas, drove up and bought it. Might need to look into max length before it requires freight shipping. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

WDH

I do what Cedarman does.  Wrap the wood with cardboard.  I will not ship anything over 70 pounds that cannot go UPS ground.  Like Cedarman says, sign up for a business account, the savings are substantial.  If you don't wrtap in cardboard, UPS charges a penalty of $10 or $15 for an "unwrapped" package. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

We ship parts all the time and it doesn't matter which one you use, it's going to take some abuse. Crate it with scraps is the best you can do. Both UPS and Fed Ex take packages over 100 lbs but charge you extra for it. It also means that if it is heavy they will be rougher with it. smiley_whip
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Mike W

Quote from: K-Guy on August 13, 2019, 01:41:34 PMIt also means that if it is heavy they will be rougher with it.

I thought that just meant it was put on the top of all those Amazon boxes filled with little air pillows then sent down bumpy roads to its final destination.:-\

K-Guy

Quote from: Mike W on August 13, 2019, 02:39:43 PM
Quote from: K-Guy on August 13, 2019, 01:41:34 PMIt also means that if it is heavy they will be rougher with it.

I thought that just meant it was put on the top of all those Amazon boxes filled with little air pillows then sent down bumpy roads to its final destination.:-\
No. They put them on top of packages marked Fragile. But then they drop it moving from trailer to trailer. smiley_nananana
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

Thanks for the info.  I had no idea that having an account would save so much money.  We order so much through Amazon Prime that the UPS guys shows it here about every day, and he picks up freight from us as well, but I have always paid full price.  

I assume UPS has the same savings as FED EX?

What happens if the weight is off, even though it's still under 70 lbs? Are certified scales required or digital bathroom scales inadequate and results in a penalty?    

@Cedarman or @WDH 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

We have a Fed-ex account and just use a bathroom scale, Fed-ex measures and weighs the package when it gets to their facility and adjusts the price if necessary but I honestly don't think it has ever been an issue.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I use a scale like the one you see at a doctors office with the sliding weights.  It is dead on accurate so I have not experienced a wrong weight issue. 

So, I did an experiment.  I went to UPS and worked up a shipment of lumber to Jeff in Harrison, MI.  It was a package of lumber that is 72" long, 12" wide, and 8" high.  Package value is $200.  Package weighs 50 pounds and is considered "oversize".

Just figuring up the shipping in the UPS website, cost to ship UPS Ground (cheapest option) was $82.13.  Then I logged in to my account and figured up the exact same shipment.  Cost is $62.24.  With the business account, I save right at $20.  So, without the business account, ti would cost me 32% more to ship ($19.89 divided by $62.24).  That is a very significant savings.  I pass this saving on to my customers and only charge the freight that UPS charges me plus a flat fee of $10 for packaging.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

I apologize but I would phrase it as saving 25%.  62 / 82 is 75% of the original cost, and 20/82 = about 25%.  great savings. we like our mother /daughter team at joys shipping.  if I were a business person, I would sure get and account.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Right there is a perfect example of how an accountant can make numbers represent anything they desire, and further proof that studies show 87.46% of statistics are made up on the spot.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

@Southside  I was going to do a calculation to show, using SGUs, how full of chicken stuff some are, but decided showing the work was not needed since everyone knows the answer... is 100%  :D :D :D :D  keep the faith buddy!! ;)

WDH

I knew that this would come up.  The way I looked at it is my base cost is $62 because I have the business account.  If I did not have it, it would cost me an additional $20 to ship, or 32% more :).  It depends on what base you are coming from, and my base does not include any type of chicken fixation. 

jmouton

hey danny what is a henway  ,anyways 
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

WDH

You will have to ask Southside, the Chicken Master.

Southside

Danny, do you use Ash for you basis points?  :D Just wondering what units you want that hen weight in.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

It was an ash, I swear it was....

K-Guy

I'm just wondering if you kick @Southside 's hen in the behind does that increase or decrease the shipping cost? smiley_blue_bounce
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!