iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

INk jet or laser printer

Started by D._Frederick, November 14, 2010, 07:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

My Dell ink jet printer cost me no less than 20 cents per full page. I see Samsung laser printers on-sale for $50-60 range about the same as ink jet.

I use the printer to copy or print about a dozen pages a couple times a week in only black and white.

Would a Laser printer be a better choice?

Gary_C

Although I don't know anything about the low cost printers you talk about, yes laser printers are much lower in cost per page. I have had a big laser printer, HP 5si that I had to have for a job I used to do and now it handles all my black and white printing. Costs me less than one cent per page for toner and can print two sides at over 30 pages per minute.

But I still have to have an all in one inkjet for color copies and pictures and I use it very sparingly because of the over the top cost of inkjet cartridges. And those inkjet printers are junk and don't last long.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

ouachita

Bought two HP lazerjet 4 printers in 1984.  One was burned up in a fire in 1994.  The other is still going strong.  For about $70 worth of ink it prints about 5000 sheets. 

This year I bought a brother MFC-9320CW Color lazerjet printer for $399 on sale at Office Depot.  A full set of 4 color cartridges (incudes black) cost $380.00.  Haven't needed to use the extra cartridges yet as the originals are still going strong. 

I use the HP for drafts and the Brother for printing my Forest Stewardship Plans with numerous full color sheets.

Charles Westmoreland CF RF 

SwampDonkey

I have two HP printers and have had them for over 10 years. One is an all-in-One and the other is a 13" wide one for printing 13"x19" brochures. They both use the same black cartridge, but different tri-color cart. They have always worked fine, but if you let them sit idle for months like my wider one does the ink carts go dry. Never had to repair either one.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

We print hundreds of color pix everyday. Get a Laser printer!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

terrifictimbersllc

My HP inkjet printouts are not waterproof.  Think that laser printouts might be.  Maybe not the most important thing but worth something.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

I don't print the kind of volumes you guys might. I do the odd aerial photo or camera photo. You can take a memory card to Walmart now and get them transfered onto photo paper, $0.20 a copy. Photo paper for an inkjet must be at least a buck a sheet, plus the ink. An all-in-one officejet is idea for me because I have everything in one machine and it isn't all that expensive for small volumes of printing/copying. I've thought of Lasers for a number of years, but always talked myself out of it. ;)

We used to print 250 copies of a newsletter on an inkjet 1120. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than a printing service in these parts and the printer could do 13 x 19, all you did was fold it and you had four pages (double sized). ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!